[lg policy] "In Chinatown, Sound of the Future is Mandarin" (NYT)

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 23 14:11:38 UTC 2009

All,

I have forwarded this discussion to Victor Mair, here at Penn.  From what I
have experienced over the years (e.g. by serving on Ph.D. committees with
Victor and others from East Asian Lgs.), it is my impression that Cantonese and
Putonghua are indeed not mutually intelligible, but that Chinese dialects
(topolects, whatever) are treated as "dialects" of one language merely
because they use one writing system (which isn't "phonetic").  But we'll see
what Victor has to say.

That this article might contain a grain of truth is the reason I
distributed it in
the first place. I.e. it's not just some "dumb" journalist writing...

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com