[lg policy] "In Chinatown, Sound of the Future is Mandarin" (NYT)

Al Haraka alharaka at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 23 17:47:16 UTC 2009

Harold,

Not mutually intelligible at all, coming from someone who failed to
learn either dialect/language when in country.  Former Chinese
students did tell me that when the communist government took power and
began regulating, there was a discussion of which dialect would be
that of government and education.  I was told the debate was actually
between Guangdonghua (Cantonese) and Putonghua (Mandarin), and that
the former was a serious contender because of its socioeconomic
prestige and its relative (excuse me, very relative) higher similarity
to classical Chinese varieties (what was meant there I am not really
sure, no one gave further elaboration in the anecdote).  Can anyone
with background in the subject elaborate?  Excuse me for the
generalization and errors, but I have been out of the loop on this
particular subject for a long, long time.

Best,
_AJS

Alexander J. Stein
Cell:  (201) 412-9479