[lg policy] Policing Board hold Irish-language meeting in Belfast

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 31 14:35:40 UTC 2009

October 29, 2009

Top Stories
Policing Board hold Irish-language meeting in Belfast

A LANDMARK event, marking the first time the Policing Board have
provided a forum in Belfast for Irish-speakers, was held in the Hilton
Hotel in Belfast city centre last Wednesday week, 21 October.

The event was the second in a series of four Policing Board meetings
aimed at the Irish-speaking community in the Six Counties. Sinn Féin
members of the Policing Board had previously stressed the importance
of the PSNI providing services for Irish-speakers and accepting the
need to engage with the substantial Irish-speaking community,
particularly in West Belfast. On the evening, presentations were made
totally in the Irish language by Policing Board Chairperson Barry
Gilligan; Policing Board member and former Sinn Féin Mayor of Derry
Gearóid Ó hEara; West Belfast DPP member and ex-POW Rosie McCorley;
PSNI Inspector Gabriel Moran and PSNI Education Adviser Dympna
Thornton.
The presentations were followed by a question and answer session
chaired by well-known west Belfast Gaeilgeoir and Irish-language
activist Fergus O’Hare.

CRITICISM
A wide range of questions and comments then followed.

East Belfast Sinn Féin representative Niall Ó Donnghaile heavily
criticised the PSNI’s use of plastic bullets in the summer period,
pointing out the lethal nature of these weapons and the many deaths
that have occurred from their use. North Belfast republican Seán
Maguidhir questioned the PSNI on the free role that police agents such
as Mark Haddock had to murder innocent Catholics with the full
knowledge of members of the RUC. West Belfast Gaeilgeoir Grainne
Holland raised the vital issue of anti-community criminals being
released after only short periods in custody and emphasised the
importance of the transfer of policing and justice powers to local
institutions. The PSNI’s use of stop-and-search tactics during their
recent ‘Operation Descent’ was raised and West Belfast DPP member
Rosie McCorley said: “The recent PSNI stop-and-search operation was
criticised by speakers tonight as being unwarranted and unnecessary,
and the point was made strongly that PSNI efforts to build
relationships with our community are undermined by this type of
policing which belongs in the past.”

TRANSLATION

Belfast Media Group Director Mairtín Ó Muilleoir, Eoghan O’Neill from
Raidio Fáilte, teachers and other Irish-language activists and
speakers from throughout Belfast also took part in the open session.

The issue of translation facilities for Irish-speakers when dealing
with the PSNI was raised along with the importance of teaching more
PSNI officers Irish, recruiting more Irish-speakers, interacting in a
positive way with young Irish-speakers and continuing to move towards
equality for the Irish language within the PSNI. Andersonstown Sinn
Féin Councillor Caoimhín Mac Giolla Mhín, who was present at the
meeting in the Hilton, said: “Many important points were made tonight
in this meeting which was conducted totally in our national language.
“The battle for equality for the Irish language has been fought for a
long time but we still have a long way to go. “This meeting is a start
and we must keep pressing for our rights and for Acht na Gaeilge. “The
news that the Belfast Principal District Policing Partnership agreed,
at a meeting on Tuesday 20 October, to adopt the language policy of
Belfast City Council is also a welcome step forward but our primary
goal for our language remains full equality.’’

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/39096

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)