[lg policy] EU CoE calls on Cyprus to promote Armenian and Cypriot Maronite Arabic language

Slavomír Čéplö bulbulthegreat at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 27 18:36:03 UTC 2009

Christina,

I'm not sure what you mean by that question. But in any case, it
should be pointed out that Cypriot Maronite Arabic (CMA) is very
different from both Modern Standard Arabic and Colloquial Arabic of
Lebanese Maronites. For one, it is very difficult to establish it's
place in the mosaic of Arabic dialects. Also, CMA has been strongly
influenced by Modern Greek - think Italian and Maltese - and the
Maronite community of Cyprus is in the process of adopting a Latin
orthography. For more information, see
http://lughat.blogspot.com/2009/09/ibn-hazm-again-and-cypriot-arabic.html
and http://www.languagehat.com/archives/003632.php (especially the
comments).