[lg policy] Bermuda: Employers expected to foot bill for hiring poor English speakers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 15:31:15 UTC 2010

Employers expected to foot bill for hiring poor English speakers

Ever ordered the soup and got the salad? Next time it happens don't
complain to the manager, complain to Immigration.
Foreign waiters who can't speak basic English face being sent home in
the wake of tough new permit regulations. Bosses will be required to
ensure anyone they hire can speak the language of the land before they
are allowed into the country. And anyone caught stuttering over their
stroganoff can be hauled before the Department of Immigration to face
a language test. If they fail, they will be sent home at their
employer's expense.

Businesses are being asked to police the policy themselves. But any
permit for restaurant workers, hotel staff, health professionals or
caregivers will now carry the condition - "Approved subject to holder
possessing a working knowledge of the English language".Announcing the
policy yesterday Immigration Minister David Burch said his department
would respond to complaints from members of the public about permit
holders who could not speak English. Workers who are red-flagged to
the department will be required to take a test and could ultimately
have their permit rescinded.

"It is not our expectation that foreign workers be able to speak
perfect, flawless English after passing the test however we do expect
them to be able to understand and be understood by most residents who
visit their establishment." He said it was 'unacceptable' and
sometimes 'dangerous' for workers in certain professions not to be
able to communicate properly. "If you want to work here you should
have a level of competence in English." He said the problem had vexed
Bermudians and residents for years and was getting worse.

"I don't know if you've been to a restaurant lately. I have. Last time
I got a waitress who didn't understand what I was saying, I didn't
understand what she was saying and I didn't get what I asked for."
Colonel Burch said the policy, announced after a 12-month consultation
period, was targeted specifically at service sector industries, but
included all professions. He said there was a 'built in incentive' for
employers to comply because communication skills were essential in
most professions. "If I'm an electrician and I'm coming to your house
and I can't speak English how can I understand what your problems is
electrically?"

The problem is more pronounced in some professions, where lives could
be threatened by lack of language skills. "A lack of competence in
English is dangerous in a job where one has to read prescriptions or
the labels of dangerous chemicals." Similar conditions are placed on
work permits in other countries, said Colonel Burch. He added: "If an
English person went to France and just expected everyone to speak
English they wouldn't have an easy time of it." The Work Permit
Holders Competency with English language policy is effective as of
tomorrow.

http://www.bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270&ArticleID=45542

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)