[lg policy] Language and 2010 US Census

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Fri Apr 2 20:38:06 UTC 2010

The Census went to a short form exclusively, so no language question
for 2010.

Other kinds of data, including language information, that used to be
collected on the "long form," is now going to be collected using a
different kind of sampling instrument, during non-Census years.

I don't know if they've decided how to tweak the language question. A
colleague on one of the Census advisory committees asked me for a copy
of a paper I wrote critiquing the language question on the 2000
Census. Don't know whether that will have any impact on the data
collection or not.

____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics