[lg policy] letters to representatives: lANGUAGE POLICY

Ann Anderson Evans annevans123 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 5 16:33:34 UTC 2010

Our ignorance of "foreign languages" puts us at a tremendous
disadvantage in business, education, diplomacy, research, and yes,
war.  When people from almost any other developed or underdeveloped
country speak at least two languages routinely, we look a little silly
having our contracts, treaties, research papers, and military
intelligence translated for us by members of the societies which are
on the other side of the transaction.

I have known Haitians who spoke five languages, Africans who spoke
seven, and throughout Europe it is assumed that a person has mastered
at least two and usually more languages; some of them are dialects or
indigenous languages (such as Catalan, Vlax, etc.) and some are
national languages like French, English, Spanish, Greek, etc.  My kids
took four years of "French" in high school, but had maybe a 10%
mastery over the language.  This reflects the lack of seriousness with
which "foreign" languages are taught in America.  I would agree that
if we are to treat second languages as a toy, we should stop teaching
them, but my bedrock belief is that every American should know at
least two languages well.

Ann Evans