[lg policy] letters to representatives: lANGUAGE POLICY

Manel Lacorte mlacorte at UMD.EDU
Mon Apr 5 17:31:41 UTC 2010

Dear Julia,

Thank you for your message. As much as I understand your arguments (and
respect and appreciate the work done by Harold for this list), I don't
really think that receiving this type of offensive letters without a
signature through our list helps me understand any better something that
I already know quite well through a variety of other non-academic means.
Best. M.

Julia De Bres wrote:
> This discussion has been held before on this list: as I understand it Hal forwards on anything relevant to language policy as it comes across his desk, academic or not, offensive or not. Everyone knows bigoted English Only champions are out there, and they are as offensive to a non-resident of America as to anyone else. But what kind of language policy scholars would we be if we ignored them and only paid attention to views that we agreed with? Do we really want to only read things by people we agree with? I'd rather know my enemy.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 5/04/2010, at 6:39 PM, Manel Lacorte <mlacorte at umd.edu> wrote:
>
> I completely agree with Ofelia's questions and requests. Please remove my name from the list if I am going to continue receiving this kind of posts. This is also MY country. Manel Lacorte.
>

> Ofelia Garcia wrote:
> Where is the signature on this letter? Is this appropriate material to post? I don't send my personal letters to this group. If this is the kind of posting that we're getting, then I would want my name removed from this list. It is also MY country.
> Ofelia Garcia
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Harold Schiffman <hfsclpp at gmail.com <mailto:hfsclpp at gmail.com>> wrote:
>    Letter to Representative Tammy Baldwin (D-WI 2nd) , 6th-term Democrat
>    from Wisconsin.
>    lANGUAGE POLICY
>    To:
>    President Barack Obama
>    Rep. Tammy Baldwin
>    Sen. Herbert Kohl
>    Sen. Russ Feingold
>    January 29, 2010
>    We want English to be our official language. Immigrants who come to
>    our Country are required to learn English. We are waisting Billions of
>    dollars each year printing our information in dozens of foreign
>    languages. Why do you keep catering to all the foreigners when you
>    should be making them abide by our laws? By not making foreigners
>    learn our language, you are allowing them to set up little foreign
>    communities inside our country and not assimilate into our society. We
>    are wasting Billions of our school systems money to teach foreigners
>    in their own language.  Stop catering to foreigners and start working
>    for "OUR" Country for a change.
>    Brodhead , WI
>    --
>    **************************************
>    N.b.: Listing on the lgpolicy-list is merely intended as a service to
>    its members
>    and implies neither approval, confirmation nor agreement by the owner
>    or sponsor of the list as to the veracity of a message's contents.
>    Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
>    (H. Schiffman, Moderator)
>    For more information about the lgpolicy-list, go to
>    https://groups.sas.upenn.edu/mailman/
>    listinfo/lgpolicy-list

Manel Lacorte
Assoc. Professor of Spanish Applied Linguistics
Director, Spanish Language Program
Coordinator of Instruction and Professional Development
Spanish and Portuguese/SLLC JMZ 2202
University of Maryland, College Park MD 20742
Tel. 301/405 8233. Fax. 301/314 9752
http://www.languages.umd.edu/SpanishPortuguese/