[lg policy] Not exactly language policy, but close: Tribes of Amazon Find an Ally Out of ‘Avatar’

Jeremy Graves jayrkirk42 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 13 13:57:13 UTC 2010

Thanks for that perspective, Stan. I was just thinking the article makes the issue very one-sided.

________________________________
From: Stan Anonby <stan-sandy_anonby at sil.org>
To: Language Policy List <lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu>
Sent: Tue, April 13, 2010 1:13:45 AM
Subject: Re: [lg policy] Not exactly language policy, but close: Tribes of Amazon Find an Ally Out of ‘Avatar’

I live in Brazil, and my work takes me to these remote areas. Most people
I've met are quite happy to give up their traditional life. Life lived in a
traditional society is extremely hard. I saw the video which accompanied the
NYT report, and some of the indigenous people in it were clearly city
dwellers. I wonder how much of a grass roots protest this really is?
Sometimes these battles remind me a bit of the Cold War. The two opposing
groups are actually based in cities in the industrialized world, and the
Amazonians are doing their work by proxy.

Stan