[lg policy] language policy of Southwest High School

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 15 14:19:35 UTC 2010

Southwest High School Language Policy
Language A and B
6/8/2009

School Language Philosophy
We share and practice the Minneapolis Public Schools Department of
World Languages’ mission of preparing “all students to be
multilingual, culturally competent, respectful and responsible
citizens of an interconnected, more peaceful world.” Anwatin and
Southwest schools recognize that language is central to learning and
believe all teachers are teachers of language. To that end, in
conjunction with our school district, Anwatin and Southwest teachers
participate in ongoing staff development that includes language
instructional strategies.

All students at Anwatin and Southwest schools participate in the IB
Middle Years Programme.

Language A
Language A is defined as English at Anwatin and Southwest schools. We
recognize that English is not the mother tongue of some of our
students but we strive for all students to achieve fluency in English.

The language of communication with our families and communities is
English, yet we also translate communication materials into the home
language of our families, including Somali, Hmong, Spanish, and
French.

All students study Language A five days a week. Within Language A
instruction, the goal is for all students to achieve proficiency in
the four modalities:  speaking, listening, reading, and writing.

Language B
Language B instruction supports the MYP fundamental concept of
Intercultural Awareness and the IB Learner Profile.  Learning an
additional language is essential for students to understand other
cultures and develop a mindset that values multilingualism and
international mindedness.  All Language B classes meet every school
day all year long. In our schools, we offer three Language B options:
French, Japanese, and Spanish.  Additionally, Southwest High School
offers classes in American Sign Language.

Students are expected to follow the same language throughout the
Middle Years Programme in order to continue their study of language at
the Standard or High Level in the IB Diploma Programme. Japanese is
currently not available to all MYP Year 1 students at Anwatin Middle
School due to budget limitations, but we are searching for creative
ways to address this limitation.  Southwest High School has opened up
language B pathways for students who have not studied language prior
to Year 4 (ninth grade) to acquire the proficiency necessary to allow
such students to test at the Standard Level in the IB Diploma
Programme before graduating.

Within Language B instruction, the goal is for all students to achieve
proficiency in the four modalities:  speaking, listening, reading, and
writing.

English Language Learners (ELL)
The language of instruction at our schools is English, with the
exception of Language B classes.  The ELL program exists to provide
students with the means to achieve academic proficiency in English.
Additionally, maintenance and development of the mother tongue is valued.

All ELL students participate in the MYP to the fullest extent
possible. Subject area teachers recognize that learning in a second
language is a challenge, so teachers focus on building the key
vocabulary, skills, and concepts necessary for successful completion
of courses. They recognize the potential problems their ELL students
may face and are expected to take appropriate steps to help students
overcome these difficulties.

ELL students receive language support and instruction in a variety of
configurations.  At the district level students are placed on an ELL
continuum based on individual proficiency.  Students at the lower
level of the continuum may attend multiple ELL classes daily. As
proficiency increases, students receive less direct ELL support until
they are exited from the program.  We recognize that to gain academic
proficiency, students may need ELL support throughout the Middle Years
Programme.
Families of ELL students have the option to waive ELL services.
Students exercising this option do not receive ELL programming.

Language Policy Development
The School Language Policy for the Anwatin and Southwest schools’ MYP
is available to all staff, students, and families on both of the
schools’ websites.  This policy will be reviewed and refined on an
ongoing basis so as to reflect our schools’ development and evolution
within the Middle Years Programme framework.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://southwest.mpls.k12.mn.us/uploads/language

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)