[lg policy] iPhone app agreement and Quebec language policy

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Fri Apr 16 16:37:20 UTC 2010

Reading the "secret" iPhone app agreement released by the Electronic
Frontier Foundation, I find that this is last paragraph of the
contract that Apple requires all its iPhone application developers to
sign:

"If You are located in the province of Quebec, Canada, the following
clause applies: The parties hereby confirm that they have requested
that this Agreement and all related documents be drafted in English.
Les parties ont exigé que le présent contrat et tous les documents
connexes soient rédigés en anglais" (p.19).

Does anyone know if this represents a violation of Quebec's language
law (it seems to me that it would), or is this standard contract
language used by anglophone corporations doing business in Quebec?
After all, it's Apple, rather than all of the parties, requiring
English. No English, no app.

Dennis

____________________
Dennis Baron