[lg policy] Iceland Volcano Spews Consonants and Vowels

Slavomír Čéplö bulbulthegreat at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 19 20:19:42 UTC 2010

Not to the newscasters, but rather to the writers. He specifically
quoted the following passage from the NYT article
(http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/16/iceland-volcano-spews-consonants-and-vowels/)
written by Andy Newman and Bao Ong:

The “EY” rhymes with the word “bay.” The “k” is softer than an English
“k,” almost like a hard “g.” And the “t” at the end kind of sticks for
a second and pulls away with a hint of a glottal “l.”

So I'm afraid I must disagree with Christina, at least when it comes
to these particular journalists: they deserve to be ridiculed, not for
not mastering a particular jargon, but for trying to appear more
knowledgeable than they actually are.