[lg policy] Alabama English-only drivers' license testing revisited

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Fri Apr 23 18:35:53 UTC 2010

Very nice essay, Hal. Thanks for the link.

What's interesting to me is that English-only has become not just a
state issue, but an issue at the municipal level, as well as at the
level of individual agencies (the Dallas PD) schools (Wichita) and
workplace's (the Salvation Army Thrift Shop in Framingham; Geno's
Steaks in Philly). Only this week a number of my students objected
vehemently to the singing of the national anthem in Spanish. When I
showed them Stephen Colbert's satirical take on this and asked them,
"How many people can understand the sacred scriptures of their in the
languages they were originally written in?" they replied that Bible
translation was ok, since the bible was universal. This is what we're
up against.

Dennis
____________________
Dennis Baron