[lg policy] Russian Language Policy in the Soviet Union

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 26 20:18:03 UTC 2010

All,

A student at Duke has asked for help in identifying a former Soviet
republic that
"rebelled against the implementation of Russian as the main
governmental/educational language".
I assume she means "during the Soviet period" rather than afterward,
but I am not sure.
If anyone on this list can help with this, please reply to her
directly: Megan Sherrell <megan.sherrell at duke.edu>

Thanks,

HS

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Megan Sherrell <megan.sherrell at duke.edu>
Date: Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM
Subject: Russian Language Policy in the Soviet Union
To: haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu

Hello,
My name is Megan Sherrell and I am a current junior at Duke
University. I am a Linguistics major, and I am beginning my senior
honors thesis this spring. One portion of my thesis is looking at
Russian language policy in the former Soviet Republics. I found an old
syllabus of yours online, and I was wondering if you could offer any
more insight on the subject. I am working now on setting which former
Soviet Republic(s) I will be examining. I was wondering if you knew of
a good case study in which to use. I am looking for one, if one like
this exists, in which a nation rebelled against the implementation of
Russian as the main governmental/educational language? If I am off
base please let me know. I am still in the middle of planning this out
and doing my preliminary research. Thank you.
Best,
Megan
--
Megan Sherrell
Duke University

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)