[lg policy] Linguistic Apartheid: A South African essayist considers the ugly history of his native tongue.

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 27 13:57:48 UTC 2010

Linguistic Apartheid
A South African essayist considers the ugly history of his native tongue.
BY THOMAS DREYER | MAY/JUNE 2010

>>From Not Our Leguaan. Translated from the Afrikaans by the author.

I am an Afrikaans writer. I write in a language that is Dutch but not
Dutch, European but not European, African but not African -- even
though it is the only language named after this (or any other)
continent. I write in a language that has little to do with tulips,
windmills, or silly snowmen with carrot noses, a language honed to
denote Africa in all its harshness, cruelty, and beauty. "Aardvark,"
"veld," and "wildebeest" -- these are the words that Afrikaans has
given to the world. As is "trek," of course: to migrate, to get going,
to yield to the fever of the horizon. Yes, in the language of the
Enterprise, to boldly go where no man has gone before. I write in
Afrikaans, a language of wanderers and migrants, of "trekkers," who
trekked rather than submit to British rule, who trekked again when the
British occupied Natal in turn, who kept on doggedly trekking as the
Free State and Transvaal and all the other dreams fell to the
juggernaut of Empire. And finally, just when the smoke of war was
clearing, just when it seemed that things were finally looking up,
just when it seemed that there would be no need of further trekking,
these migrants, these god-fearing people who had given the world
"Boer" and "spoor" and "commando" and "puff adder," embarked on their
final and most ambitious journey. Inventing the word "apartheid," they
proceeded to trek away from sanity and even from reality itself.

And this thing, this big A, this abomination that strung barbed wire
between us and the only country we ever knew or loved, has made
migrants of us all. How can we forget the freedom fighters, forced
into exile or into that other kind of exile from which there can be no
return? How can we forget the men and women who had to flee to fight
another day, or the activists, harried by the security police (whose
tactics were of course always extremely interesting)? And how could we
forget the writers who had to abandon everything to escape persecution
or hardship or any hint of kinship with these bastards who were
turning the country into a parody of all they had ever dreamed of or
believed? But we shouldn't forget the silent majority either, those
who stayed behind, those who suffered in a country that was becoming
more and more like a foreign country every day. They were the migrant
workers with their passes designating them as temporary sojourners in
the country of their birth. They were the vagrants and the
dispossessed, but also those who retreated into a kind of inner exile,
a moral stupor where the sky was still as blue as it was on TV, where
the doves sang exclusively in verse, never mentioning the shacks and
the barricades or the obscene whirring of rubber bullets. There were
the English too, lest we forget, who had had the savvy not to give
their policies a name and were now torn between memories of Home and
this strange new republic which they supported as eagerly as anyone
else who was allowed to draw their crosses -- though this has become
an inconvenient truth of late, a kind of non-fact, something that will
hopefully go away if no one mentions it again. And always there were
the cruel and haunted Afrikaners, the beautiful, deluded Afrikaners,
these men and women who came up with names like "meerkat" and
"boomslang" and "berg," but loved this country more than words could
express and still managed to turn it into a stranger.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/04/26/linguistic_apartheid
Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)