[lg policy] bibitem: Globalisation, linguistic norms and language authorities: Spain and the Panhispanic language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 29 20:20:13 UTC 2010

Globalisation, linguistic norms and language authorities: Spain and
the Panhispanic language policy

Paffey, Darren J. and Mar-Molinero, Clare (2009) Globalisation,
linguistic norms and language authorities: Spain and the Panhispanic
language policy. In, Lacorte, Manel and Leeman, Jennifer (eds.)
Español en Estados Unidos y otros contextos de contacto.
Sociolingüística, ideología y pedagogía / Spanish in the United States
and other contact environments. Sociolinguistics, ideology and
pedagogy.. Madrid, Spain, Iberoamericana/Vervuert, 159-173. (Lengua y
Sociedad en el Mundo Hispánico 21).
http://eprints2.eprints.soton.ac.uk/66047/

Abstract

In the context of debates on global languages, this chapter takes a
‘top-down’ perspective in exploring the emergence of current
panhispanic language policies, led by the Real Academia Española (RAE)
and involving close collaboration with, amongst others, the Instituto
Cervantes. The relationship between these two organizations has been
depicted by a former RAE Director as “ministros de una misma iglesia;
nosotros somos los padres conciliares y [el Instituto Cervantes] los
misioneros” (García de la Concha 2005:5). We argue that these policies
shape, and are shaped by, widespread language ideological debates
about standardization and language unity across the cohort of Spanish
language academies and amongst language commentators in Spain, Latin
America, and the U.S. We examine three facets of language policies
currently being pursued by the Spanish government which we term: 1)
the ‘internal’ policies, 2) the ‘external’ policies, and, of
increasing importance and the central focus of this chapter, 3) the
‘panhispanic language’ policies. We critically analyze these policies
and language planning practices, seeking to identify the agents that
are responsible for enacting and implementing them. Of particular
interest is the series of Congresos de la Lengua Española which plays
an important role in policy development and promotion. This chapter
considers how institutional language ideologies drive Spanish language
spread in the global context of a linguistic ‘market’, noting that
private business interests in Spain have awoken to the huge commercial
opportunities offered by the Spanish-speaking markets and the selling
of the Spanish language. We suggest that panhispanism has become
synonymous for the RAE with globalization and ask what the
consequences of this might be in situations of language contact with
Iberian and American languages.

Item Type: Book Section
ID Code: 66047
ISBNs: 9788484894247
Alternative Locations: http://www.ibero-americana.net...txt=inhalt,
http://www.ibero-americana.net...521424.pdf
Subjects: P Language and Literature > PB Modern European Languages
School or Centre: School of Humanities > Modern Languages
Deposited By: Paffey, Mr Darren
Deposited On: 22 April 2009

http://eprints2.eprints.soton.ac.uk/66047/

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)