[lg policy] China vs. Singapore: Language and Dialect: Matter of Life and Death?

Slavomír Čéplö bulbulthegreat at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 3 19:11:52 UTC 2010

Oh for the love of all that good and holy, somebody is once again
rediscovering the wheel/America/hot water. Isn't the subject covered
pretty well by most introductory linguistics coursebooks? The author
would be well advised to consult one and then they could avoid making
silly statements like:

"However in a linguistic sense, languages are not mutually
intelligible while dialects/varieties are"

I challenge everyone to find a sane linguist who would agree.