[lg policy] bibitem: International Comparative Perspectives on Heritage Language Education Policy Research

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 7 14:46:14 UTC 2010

International Comparative Perspectives on Heritage Language Education
Policy Research
Jeffrey Bale

Abstract
As awareness of the unique abilities and needs of heritage language
learners has grown, so too has recent research deepened our
understanding of the dynamic between language policy and heritage
language education (HLE). In this article, I review HLE policy
research conducted in various international contexts. I begin by
reviewing ongoing debates in the policy literature over definitions
and adopt a broad understanding of the term so that we can glean as
much insight as possible from the comparison of international
contexts. I then turn to six international regions and countries that
have been the focus of recent HLE policy research. Within each region,
I apply the analytic framework proposed by Ricento and Hornberger
(1996) to differentiate the multiple levels at which language policy
functions. Finally, I identify common themes emerging across the
research in these varied contexts and conclude with suggestions for
future policy-oriented HLE research.

Jeffrey Bale is an assistant professor of second language education at
Michigan State University. He coordinates the world languages teacher
preparation program in the Department of Teacher Education and is an
affiliate of MSU's Literacy Achievement Research Center. He received
his doctorate from Arizona State University, specializing in language
education policy analysis. His academic work builds on nearly 10 years
as a classroom teacher of English as a second language and German. His
research interests include sociohistorical and comparative
perspectives on language education policy. Recent publications can be
found in Language Policy and the International Multilingual Research
Journal.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=7848057
 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)