[lg policy] Kinect can't read sign language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 12 14:55:24 UTC 2010

Kinect can't read sign language

Microsoft has rubbished rumours that Kinect will be able to read sign
language, which were sparked yesterday after a patent for such a
system was spotted online. Kinect will definitely not support sign
language recognition in any way, a Microsoft spokesperson told Kotaku
- at least, for now anyway.

"Microsoft files lots of patent applications to protect our
intellectual property, not all of which are brought to market right
away. Kinect that is shipping this holiday will not support sign
language." According to other sources cited by Kotaku the reason that
Kinect can't read sign language is a technological one - the camera
resolution is just too low to easily recognise individual fingers or
follow their complicated movements at speed.

In fact, in our go with Kinect we found it occasionally even had
trouble plotting the movement of limbs - check our Kinect first
impressions to find out more. It's not all bad news for those who
communicate in sign language however - Valve is still said to be
researching similar technology for conventional computer games.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/08/11/kinect-can-t-read-sign-language/1

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)