[lg policy] North Carolina: Kvetches regress progress toward gender-neutrality

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 8 16:37:38 UTC 2010

Kvetches regress progress toward gender-neutrality

By LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Letters
Updated: December 7, 2010, 1:09 AM

TO THE EDITOR:

Every time I open the DTH, I find misogynistic comments and articles
that annihilate the advances we made as women at UNC, and bring us
back to the pre-UNC gender-neutral language policy era. Thank you to
all these women and men who stood up, and without hiding behind
anonymity, spoke up for gender equality in their letters. Now, on
Friday, we regressed again, this time in the kvetching board.

I often find the kvetching board funny, but this time it was filled
with hatred. The submitter wrote: “Last week’s cube incident was only
half a victory for free speech,” and another submitter wrote: “To the
women of UNC: Please quit sleeping with the basketball team until they
start winning. They need some motivation.”

Angry kvetch submitters, you need to stop using free speech as a way
to justify hate speech. Oppressing women should not be promoted in the
name of free speech. Regarding your second comment, UNC students are
not disposable sexual objects. Now DTH — are you a blog or a real
paper? Anonymity in online comments, editorials, and kvetches creates
a forum that promotes polarizing comments, insults and discrimination.
It gives a voice to people who are not ready to live with the
consequences of their words.

Laurence Deschamps-Laporte
Senior
International Studies

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2010/12/kvetches_regress_progress_toward_genderneutrality#comment10730

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)