[lg policy] Indigenous Language Institute: Native Language News

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 10 14:21:52 UTC 2010

 Forwarded From: Indigenous Language Institute <ili at ilinative.org>

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=28751.6887333763/rid=300016f36fc54cd4ceb3cdc3ad60eb23>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/28751/ff625dd5b98e8cf88d0ab761c29773d4/6887333763/?mrid=300016f36fc54cd4ceb3cdc3ad60eb23>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/28751/ff625dd5b98e8cf88d0ab761c29773d4/6887333763/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/28751/ff625dd5b98e8cf88d0ab761c29773d4/6887333763/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/28751/ff625dd5b98e8cf88d0ab761c29773d4/6887333763/>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6887333763/208401856/216707801/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org>
     *LANGUAGE IMMERSION FOR NATIVE CHILDREN **(LINC)*
*FUNDED BY W.K. KELLOGG FOUNDATION*
* *

 Language Immersion for Native Children (*LINC*) is a training program on
language immersion practices for teachers, parents and community members who
provide care for children ages 0-8. LINC Project start up is funded for 18
months (May 2010-October 2011) by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation based on their
vision to support “*children, families, and communities as they strengthen
and create conditions that propel vulnerable children to achieve success as
individuals and as contributors to the larger community and society*.”

 The decline of Native languages in the USA is a direct consequence of
centuries of government policies to assimilate/eradicate indigenous peoples.
This is a human rights and racial issue that deeply affects the Native
American children at their core. To revitalize languages is to restore
dignity, identity and self-confidence in our future generations so they can
succeed in life.

LINC project targets the teachers/staff of tribal Head Starts, pre-K to
grade 3, child care centers and families to help create total immersion as
an effective method for language transmission. We want to expand the
audience to include staff at social services, health services, stores, and
family members so that language materials can be visible and present in all
environments frequented by children.

LINC is the flagship project of the Indigenous Language Institute (ILI) and
three other partners - Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival
(AICLS), American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI) and Oklahoma
Native Language Association (ONLA) - which, together, formed the Consortium
of Indigenous Language Organizations (*CILO*). This partnership of 100+
years of collective experience enables the Consortium to increase training
opportunities for language communities, to assist them in their quest for
the survival and renewed intergenerational transmission of the endangered
languages.

CILO provides workshops that cover various pertinent topics in immersion
practices. Workshops are open to anyone interested in language
revitalization and bringing their Native languages back Everyday, Everywhere
and for Everyone.

 Workshops are offered at various locations (Arizona, California, Oklahoma)
and at ILI in Santa Fe, New Mexico at scheduled times. For PDF of catalog go
to: www.ilinative.org/cilo/CILOCatalog.pdf<http://e2ma.net/go/6887333763/208401856/216707848/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/cilo/CILOCatalog.pdf>.
The workshops will also be offered in communities by request of the tribe or
group, and CILO instructors will conduct training at their community
sites. For more information about CILO or it's partners visit
www.ilinative.org/cilo<http://e2ma.net/go/6887333763/208401856/216707849/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/cilo>.

       CILO Partners meet at ILI, August 2010, front: L. Hinton, L.
Watahomigie, O. Zepeda, A. Yamamoto, C. Morgan, Back: R. Bugbee, G. Hill, I.
Slaughter, G. Sly, K. Yamamoto
   Our Children, Our Future Speakers: Immersion class at Tsunadeloquasdi (*the
place where they learn*), Cherokee Nation
    <http://e2ma.net/go/6887333763/208401856/216707802/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/cilo/CILOCatalog.pdf>
 CILO Catalog
(click on picture for PDF version of catalog)

 *C*onsortium of
*I*ndigenous
*L*anguage
*O*rganizations

Contact information for CILO:
Indigenous Language Institute
1501 Cerrillos Road, U-Bldg
Santa Fe, NM  87505
ATTN:  CILO

Phone: (505) 820-0311
Fax: (505) 820-0316
E-mail: cilo at ilinative.org
 www.ilinative.org/cilo<http://e2ma.net/go/6887333763/208401856/216707850/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/cilo>

        1501 Cerrillos Road U-Building | Santa Fe, NM 87505 US

This email was sent to *hfsclpp at gmail.com*. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=48362/id=28751.6887333763/rid=300016f36fc54cd4ceb3cdc3ad60eb23>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=28751.6887333763/rid=300016f36fc54cd4ceb3cdc3ad60eb23/signupId=48362>using