[lg policy] call: Symposium About Language and Society

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 10 14:28:30 UTC 2010

Symposium About Language and Society - Austin
Short Title: SALSA XIX

Date: 15-Apr-2011 - 17-Apr-2011
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Contact Person: John Ryan Sullivant
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/salsa/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 14-Jan-2011

Meeting Description:

The Symposium About Language and Society-Austin (SALSA) is pleased to
announce its 19th Annual meeting, to be held April 15-17 at the
University of Texas at Austin. The theme of this year's conference is
'Language in the Public Domain.'

2011 Invited Speakers:

Michael Silverstein - University of Chicago
Steven Clayman - UCLA
Elaine Chun - University of South Carolina
Lars Hinrichs - UT Austin

Call for Papers:

SALSA is now accepting proposals for papers that explore the public
dimensions of language. Language is a distinctly human characteristic
and central to all human social organization. It is the medium through
which we shape our identities, relate to other people, and construct
our social realities. Our focus in this conference is on language as
it is used in media, politics, performance, and other public spaces,
and how language can affect and be affected by these processes and
domains of usage.

Please send submissions to SALSA 2011 through the online submission
form on the SALSA web site.

All submissions must include two abstracts: An extended abstract not
to exceed 4,100 characters and spaces (approximately 600 words),
including references and examples; and a shorter abstract not to
exceed 1,100 spaces and characters (approximately 150 words). Please
note that the online submission form does not accept special
formatting or text such as IPA. Only electronic submissions sent
through our online form will be accepted. Each person is limited to
one submission as the primary author; multiple submissions by the same
first author will not be accepted.

Deadline for receipt of abstracts is January 14, 2011. Late
submissions will not be accepted, and we cannot accept papers that are
to be published elsewhere. Notification of acceptance will be sent in
the first week of February 2010.

http://linguistlist.org/issues/21/21-4988.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)