[lg policy] UK: Language protest returns to store

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 15:21:38 UTC 2010

Language protest returns to store

A PROTEST has been staged at Llanelli's Marks & Spencer store by Welsh
language campaigners.Members of Cymdeithas yr Iaith placed posters on
trolleys stating: "I intended to purchase these products today but as
the company shows such lack of respect for the Welsh language I've
changed my mind."

Campaigners said the protest recreates one held in 1995 against the
company's lack of a Welsh language policy. Hazel Charles-Evans, who
took part in the original protest in 1995 said: "This time, as before,
a large number of people have asked to speak to the manager about the
issue and several members of Cymdeithas yr Iaith have sent letters to
the company over a year and a half or more, but no one has received a
response.
Click here for more

"So we have been forced to protest again. It's heartbreaking, after we
won this battle in the 1990s that we again have to fight for something
as basic as bilingual signs in a shop which serves a community where
more than half of the population speak Welsh."

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Language-protest-returns-store/article-2997165-detail/article.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)