[lg policy] US: Education and the Language Gap

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 15 18:06:36 UTC 2010

Forwarded From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

US Department of Education

Education and the Language Gap: Secretary Arne Duncan's Remarks at the
Foreign Language Summit

This week, we found out that the brutal truth that we're being
out-educated. On the 2009 Program for International Student
Assessment, the United States scored as average in reading and science
– and below average in math.

We're behind global leaders such as Finland, South Korea, and Canada.
The most surprising news is that Shanghai outscored every other
nation. We see this as a challenge to get better.

And one place we obviously need to get better is in teaching
languages. The United States is a long way from being the
multi-lingual society that so many of our economic competitors are.

Full text:

http://www.ed.gov/news/speeches/education-and-language-gap-secretary-arne-duncans-remarks-foreign-language-summit

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)