[lg policy] calls: International Conference on Dialect and Literature

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 20 14:49:12 UTC 2010

International Conference on Dialect and Literature

Date: 11-Jul-2011 - 13-Jul-2011
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Jane Hodson
Meeting Email: j.hodsonsheffield.ac.uk

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 04-Mar-2011

Meeting Description:

When an author writes a literary text either wholly or partly in dialect, he or
she is making a conscious choice to represent something other than the
standard language. This conference invites papers that explore this
process. We welcome papers from across different periods, different
genres and different geographical locations, including regional, social and
world dialects. Questions that might be addressed include, but are not
restricted to:

-what purposes does the representation of dialect have in literary texts?
-how do readers respond to the representation of dialect in literature?
-which critical frameworks are appropriate for the interpretation of dialect in
literary texts?
-what methodologies can we borrow from linguistics in order to analyse
dialect representation?
-how does literary dialect differ from 'real' dialect?
-can a distinction be drawn between dialect in literature and dialect
literature?
-what are the ideological dimensions of the representation of literary
dialect?
-how has the representation of dialect varied across time, place and genre?
-how can we study audience response to the literary representation of
dialect?

This conference is being held to mark the concluding stage of our 'Dialect in
British Fiction 1800-1836' project, which has been funded by the AHRC. As
part of the conference we will be offering access to a beta version of the
database we have created.

Plenary speakers:
Lisa Minnick (Western Michigan University)
Katie Wales (University of Nottingham)

Call For Papers

Please submit abstracts of 250 words to j.hodsonsheffield.ac.uk by Friday
4th March 2011.

We welcome papers that deal with dialect in languages other than English,
but would ask that all papers be presented in English.

http://linguistlist.org/issues/21/21-5150.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)