[lg policy] Barclays Bank: Our Welsh language policy

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 13 14:42:43 UTC 2010

Our Welsh language policy

Welsh Language Policy

Policy statement We're committed to the communities we operate in and
use the Welsh language along with English within Wales.

Our bilingual policy sets out our general guiding principles in
relation to providing Welsh language services in Wales. It recognises
our achievements to date and will be updated as new policies, services
and initiatives are introduced.

Signage Permanent signs in both internal and external public areas of
our Welsh branches are bilingual.

Merchandising and literature Wherever possible, we'll endeavour to
have our core product brochures available in Welsh when displayed in
Wales. Naturally, this merchandising material and literature will be
produced to our normal, high quality standards.

Corporate identity Our personalised stationery is available in Welsh,
including business cards, compliment slips and fax cover sheets.

Cash machines In Wales, our cash machines give you the option of
conducting your business in Welsh.

Welsh-speaking staff We encourage staff to speak Welsh in the
workplace by offering financial assistance for Welsh lessons.

The availability of Welsh speakers in our branches does vary from area
to area. For example, the percentage of Welsh-speaking staff in North
West and South West Wales is much higher than in other areas. If you'd
prefer to speak to a Welsh speaker, we'll help you do so wherever
possible.

All of our Welsh-speaking branch staff wear badges with the Welsh flag
or the recognised Welsh Language Board badge to let you know they
speak Welsh. Their names will also be displayed on in-branch posters.

Welsh Language Telephone ServiceWe have a dedicated Welsh language
telephone service available on 0845 744 2211, 9am to 5pm, Monday to
Friday . If you call outside these times, you'll be directed to one of
our English centres. There may be other times when we'll need to
transfer your call to other centres of expertise that may not be able
to speak Welsh.

RecruitmentWhere applicable, we'll consider the ability to speak Welsh
desirable when assessing people for roles in Wales. When advertising
externally, we'll consider issuing a Welsh-only or bilingual advert.

LettersWe'll respond in Welsh to any letters we receive written in Welsh.

Other correspondenceNot all standard letters are available in Welsh,
although we review this situation regularly. Some of the most common
documents we offer in Welsh include:

Cheque books
Credit slips
Standing order forms.
Cheques written in WelshWe accept cheques written in Welsh.

Media relationsWhenever we make a press release, a Welsh spokesperson
will be available.

Community profileWe're committed to the communities we work in and
recognise the role we can play. We give 1% of our global pre-tax
profit to community and charity work every year.

We support a significant number of local community initiatives in
Wales. On average, one in three of our staff participates in one every
year. We look to reflect our bilingual policy in other areas, too. For
example, we've supported the National Eisteddfod for over 25 years.

Translation serviceWe always use an organisation or company approved
by the Welsh Language Board to provide our translation services.
Translations of legal documents are undertaken by a Welsh-speaking
bank-appointed solicitor.

Centre of expertiseWe provide one point of contact for staff for all
matters relating to the Welsh language. This is the Barclays Welsh
Language Centre based in Haverfordwest.

Monitoring our policyWe regularly review the implementation of our
bilingual policy with a view to making improvements where we can.

ComplaintsWe handle complaints received in Welsh in line with both our
normal complaint handling process and the rules and regulations of our
regulator, the Financial Services Authority (FSA). We provide an
acknowledgement of any complaint within five working days.

Informing our staffWe inform all Barclays staff in Wales of our
bilingual policy.

Would you like to know more?If you have any questions, or would like
more information, please contact our Welsh Language Centre on 0845 744
2211 1.

http://www.bank.barclays.co.uk/ImportantInformation/OurWelshlanguagepolicy/P1242558101754

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)