[lg policy] UK: Children unable to talk properly because of working parents

David Johnson davidcasselsjohnson at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 4 23:23:14 UTC 2010

I have noticed a resurgence of the verbal deprivation/linguistic deficit approach lately (Hart and Risley get a lot of attention) although this one does not place the blame on lower or working-class parents - just all parents who work - which is an interesting spin. Educational psychologists often seem to be the ones promoting these ideas although there are others. And I agree that there is no indication (I would love to be proven wrong here) they understand the nature of language/linguistics. Still, their ideas gain traction among educational policy makers (I think) because (a) psychologists have numbers and (b) they tap into already existing, however incorrect, assumptions about language and language learning.

David