[lg policy] The Politics of Pidgin English in Cameroon

Annette Islei annetteislei at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 15:48:25 UTC 2010

It could well be true if they have introduced universal Primary
education and overstretched an overstretched system.

And in a macroacquisition situation, with more and more kids gaining
some competence in English, English will more rapidly become different
from the British English or whatever target model. This isn't just
deficit/difference thinking, it's also communicative ability.

When people look back to the good old days, they are forgetting this
was relatvely exclusive education with teachers colonial trained.

UPE in Uganda - class size went up from a 'manageable' 80 to over a
120, and literacy results fell.

Annette Islei