[lg policy] Atticus Bookstore: Verbal Segregation or Appropriate Language?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 24 20:52:57 UTC 2010

Verbal Segregation or Appropriate Language?
Posted by: Efrain Nieves on: January 23, 2010

In: Uncategorized Comment!

By, Efrain Nieves

Reading the local newspaper yesterday I found an interesting article.
The article reads of  Atticus Bookstore and Cafe located in New Haven,
CT. that it is enforcing a policy of English only. Here is part of the
policy, ” Spanish is allowed in the prep area, the dishwasher area and
the lower level. Let’s make our customers feel welcome and
comfortable.” Excuse me?  Talk about stereotype! The owner of Atticus,
Charles Negaro stated “We encourage the use of English because it’s an
appropriate way to be most helpful to our customers.” I didn’t think
speaking another language was inappropriate in a community where
diversity is welcome and embraced. Charles look outside the box. The
majority who pass and look in your store prefer to speak their native
language. Some people just don’t get it.

Here you can find the story on Yahoo News:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100122/ap_on_re_us/us_bookstore_english_only_3

http://beinglatino.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/verbal-segregation-or-appropriate-language/

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)