[lg policy] Connecticut: Atticus Bookstore's Management Reviewing Language Policy

Stan-sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at SIL.ORG
Tue Jan 26 21:53:38 UTC 2010

Publicly speaking a (minority?) language in the earshot of majority speakers generally makes them uncomfortable.

Even interjecting foreign word with foreign phonology makes hearers uncomfortable. For instance, if I'm speaking English in North America, and I interject a Spanish word with Spanish pronunciation, I notice I get dark looks. English speakers find it grating. If, however, I use an anglicized pronunciation, nobody minds. In Brazil, where I live, people often interject English words in their sentences. But if I'm speaking Portuguese, and I interject an English word, with English pronunciation, people think I'm snobby. (Other bilinguals have told me they get a similar reaction). However, if I talk Portuguese and use the same English word, but with a Brazilian accent, nobody minds.

My family is bilingual, but English dominant. However, in public, we usually either try to speak Portuguese or remain silent. The reason is, we get a feeling speaking English in public in Brazil makes people feel awkward.

I'm certainly in favour of people having the right to speak Spanish. However, I seem to have run into this problem of speaking a minority language in public in various countries. People who can speak majority languages often feel uncomfortable when others speak languages they can't understand. They even find it grating when you use words with foreign phonology. So I understand motivated Atticus.

Stan Anonby