[lg policy] Canada: Measuring the Cost of Bilingualism

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 4 16:34:03 UTC 2010

Language Policy
Studies
News Releases
Videos
Articles
Commentaries

Measuring the Cost of Bilingualism

All countries have language policies, be they explicitly written in
language laws or implicit, as a result of education opportunities in a
given language. Such policies will evolve over time with historical,
demographic and economic factors. Canada has explicit and implicit,
unilingual and bilingual, language policies.

French-English bilingualism in particular has always been a
contentious issue in Canada. While there was de facto bilingualism in
the legislative assemblies before Confederation, English was the only
language to be officially recognized. This changed with the
Constitution Act of 1867 which stated that French and English could
both be used in the debates of Parliament. The Constitution Act of
1982 and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms went further and
constitutionally designated English and French as official languages
of Canada.

Regardless of the philosophical reasons behind language policies,
implementing them imposes costs. The Fraser Institute's research on
language policy attempts to measure the costs of federal and
provincial bilingualism. Future research will explore optimal language
policies for Canada.

Research & News > Research Topics   Research & News

About Us Who We Are Mission Funding History Senior Staff Senior
fellows Senior research staff Board of Directors Annual reports Fraser
Institute in Numbers What We Do Other Information Sources Peer Review
Editorial Advisory Board Job Postings Contact Us Media Contacts
Research & News Research topics ArticlesNews releases Commentaries
Magazines Search

Education Programs For Students Video contest Essay contestInternship
programQuestions from past studentsWords from past internsSeminar
programCanadian Student ReviewAsk the ProfessorStudent registration
formFor TeachersWorkshopsStudent seminarsClassroom resourcesLesson
plansEconomic glossaryLinksDVD recommendationsWorld's Smallest
Political QuizTeacher registration formFor ParentsFor Journalists
Events & MultimediaEventsMultimedia
Report CardsSchool PerformanceAlbertaBritish
ColumbiaOntarioQuébecWashingtonAboriginal EducationWeston AwardsSchool
Chain ShowcaseFrequently Asked QuestionsHospital
PerformanceAlbertaBritish ColumbiaOntarioRelated reportsFrequently
asked questions
Programs & InitiativesWeston AwardsSchool Chain ShowcaseChildren First
ProgramDonner AwardsEconomic FreedomMeasurement CenterCountry Audits
Support UsContribution LevelsMake a DonationAboriginal Issues
Canada Strong & Free
Canada-US Relations
Crime & Drug Policy
Defence & Security
Economic Freedom
Education
Energy
Entrepreneurship
Environment
Foreign Aid
Governance
Government Performance
Government Spending
Health
Hospital Report Cards
Hospital Waiting Lists
Immigration
 Insurance
Key Economic Concepts
Labour Market
Language Policy
Law & Judicial System
Mining
Non-Profit Studies
Pharmaceutical
Poverty & Welfare
Privatization
Risk & Regulation
School Report Cards
Securities
Tax Freedom Day
Taxation
Trade
Transportation & Infrastructure
Urban Issues

If it matters, measure it

This maxim guides the work of The Fraser Institute. We conduct
research on issues that matter to Canadians, looking at solutions that
will increase prosperity and improve our quality of life.

Fraser Institute research is independently conducted. To protect this
independence, we accept no government funding or contracts for
research.

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/research/topics.aspx

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)