[lg policy] EU & Languages: Policies and your view?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 6 14:29:02 UTC 2010

EU & Languages: Policies and your view?
  Tags: Europe | Multilingual
Share with: DeliciousDiggredditFacebookStumbleUpon
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Sennin wrote:
cordelia0507 wrote:
What actual language policies does it have that are recommended or
stipulated across the area? Does anyone know?

The official "target" is that every European citizen should speak 3 EU
languages fluently. There is a deadline for achieving this, 2020 or
something. I can't remember exactly.

Thanks for bringing us up to speed on this! Did not know that this was
the goal.
If that's the goal, then most of my friends have to up the game a bit
if they want to "stick with the programme".

I think the EU entrance criteria (to work at the Commmission) is
fluency in two European languages apart from ones own. But somehow
really don't think that's true for many of the people who work there -
or maybe the tests are very simple?

A friend of mine works at the commission and she took a fluency test
in English and French.

Volte wrote:

Why is 'Europe' the key issue here, really?

1) Because it's the topic of the thread.

2) Because I care about Europe and its' future -- it concerns me much
more than India or Singapore that you mention. Not that I don't care
about them, but they are different cultures and have no shared history
with me.

3) Because whether or not you like certain aspects of the EU or its
political direction, it has actually been successful: The peace is
going on 65 years now; between the countries involved. I think that's
unprecedented on this continent. We can do so much better if we don't
create chaos and destruction on the continent every 30 years or
whatever the average count used to be. The EU has helped us avoid
that.

I think that the question about the EUs language policy and linguistic
future is important enough to discuss separately, without considering
the Far East etc.

There are >500 million citizens of the EU and it will go up as more
central European countries (or Turkey or Ukraine) join. To operate
efficiently there should be a shared language, that is our own. The
less hassle involved in learning that language the better. Most people
do not enjoy language studies, particularly not when its forced on
them.

Additionally the language situation for India which you mention does
not seem particularly enviable to me - I have no personal problem with
it, but basically they are using a heavily localised (politely put)
version of the language of the former colonial power as their business
language... I have more respect for China's policy in this respect;
trying to unite everyone with one local language while largely
respecting peoples dialects/local languages.

EDIT: No double posts please.

Edited by patuco on 05 July 2010 at 1:16am
1 person has voted this message useful

    Message 26 of 4304 July 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged