[lg policy] India: New Ways of Analyzing Variation: Asia-Pacific Region

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 22 14:55:26 UTC 2010

New Ways of Analyzing Variation: Asia-Pacific Region

Full Title: New Ways of Analyzing Variation: Asia-Pacific Region
Short Title: NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC

Date: 23-Feb-2011 - 26-Feb-2011
Location: Delhi, India
Contact Person: Shobha Satyanath
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://nwavap.du.ac.in

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 08-Aug-2010

Meeting Description:

NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC (NWAV-AP)
New Ways of Analyzing Language Variation and Change: Asia-Pacific Region
February 23-26, 2011
University of Delhi, India

Keynote Speaker:
William Labov
University of Pennsylvania

Conference Coordinator: Shobha Satyanath
Department of Linguistics, University of Delhi

The annual North American meeting of New Ways of Analyzing Variation
(NWAV) has a long and influential history of bringing together
scholars researching language variation and change. Likewise, European
conference series have provided opportunities for scholars working on
this paradigm in Europe (e.g., ICLaVE). We believe that it is now time
to develop a related conference series focused on the Asia-Pacific
region. After all, the Asia-Pacific region includes some of the
world's most sociolinguistically complex societies, many of which are
being studied by local and international sociolinguists. We therefore
invite you to join us in inaugurating a new regional conference, NWAV
ASIA-PACIFIC (NWAV-AP), to serve as an 'Asian branch' of NWAV.

The first meeting of NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC will be held at the University
of Delhi, India, February 23-26, 2011. We are happy to announce that
William Labov has kindly agreed to be the keynote speaker. The
research that this conference endeavors to bring together will be
firmly based on empirical data with an emphasis on quantitative
analysis of variation and change.

Considering the diverse opportunities and research challenges in the
ever-increasing, multilingual spaces of Asia, we believe that such a
forum is not only highly relevant but urgently needed. We're taking
this first step in the series with the hope that others will join us
in helping to make this conference a regular event at other
Asian-Pacific locations in the future. We hope to see you in India for
this inaugural meeting of NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC!

Call for Papers

NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC (NWAV-AP)
New Ways of Analyzing Variation and Change: Asia-Pacific Region
February 23-26, 2011
University of Delhi, India

Keynote Speaker:
William Labov
University of Pennsylvania

Conference Coordinator: Shobha Satyanath
Department of Linguistics, University of Delhi

Website for abstracts:
http://www.linguiss.com/nwav-asia/openconf/openconf.php
Conference website: http://nwavap.du.ac.in/

We welcome abstract submissions for 20-minute conference talks on a
wide range of topics in language variation and change across the
Asia-Pacific region, including speech communities, multilingualism,
urbanization and migration, sociophonetics, individual variation and
style-shifting in complex speech communities, language contact,
variation in minority languages, dialect variation and change, dialect
contact, variation in acquisition, language change across the
lifespan, perceptual dialectology, and other related topics such as
technological resources for sociolinguistic research.

One-page abstracts should be submitted online by August 8, 2010 at
http://www.linguiss.com/nwav-asia/openconf/openconf.php

Notifications about acceptance will be sent in early September.

For any questions, please contact the NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC planning committee:

1. Coordinator: Shobha Satyanath, University of Delhi, Delhi, India:
ssatyanath.dugmail.com
2. James Stanford, Dartmouth College: James.N.StanfordDartmouth.edu
3. Victoria Rau, National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan:
Victoria.Rauwheaton.edu, lngrauccu.edu.tw
4. Webmaster: Sarah Lee, Rice University: sarah.leerice.edu

http://linguistlist.org/issues/21/21-3001.html
 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)