[lg policy] NY state: English-only policy is wrong

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 28 21:17:59 UTC 2010

English-only policy is wrong
Published: 01:00 a.m., Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Regarding Town Board member Roger Meyer's push to make Jackson
English-only: It makes me sick to live so close to such a
closed-minded area of New York. At one time, I prided myself on living
in a community that was proactive and modern. When you limit a
person's speech, you limit his or her way of life. Furthermore, what
is this man so afraid of? Culture is what makes this country great.
Ideas are censored when the language is controlled. This, along with
the new policies in Arizona, makes me very uncomfortable. What is
going on with public officials?

These policies are racist and impractical. I thought, after eight
years of embarrassment, that America would be turning over a new leaf
of tolerance, acceptance and harmony. I guess I was wrong. This is the
country that only allows certain groups to marry, forces everyone to
speak the same language and detains you based only on your looks.
These ideas are not what America was founded on.

Andrew Main

http://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/English-only-policy-is-wrong-591731.php
Troy

main at oswego.edu

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)