[lg policy] Welsh Language Policies

Dave Sayers dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET
Thu Jul 29 16:58:38 UTC 2010

  And if your staff can't speak Welsh, or fail to learn, sack them.

I'm not joking; that is the Welsh Language Board's actual advice.
Quoting page 65 of 'Recruitment and the Welsh Language: Guidance under
Section 3 of the Welsh Language Act 1993'
<www.byig-wlb.org.uk/English/using/Pages/Recriwtioa%27rIaithGymraeg.aspx> as
follows:

"In terms of racial discrimination, if it could be objectively shown
that a certain level of skill in the Welsh language was essential for
the post and that the individual had been given reasonable opportunity
to develop that skill and that no other suitable post (that does not
call for that skill) was available for that individual to undertake,
then – as a last resort an employer could be confident that dismissing
the individual would not be a contravention [of the Employment Rights
Act 1996]."

There are no Welsh monolinguals, and so "essential" is a very subjective
and unreliable term here. And since there are no Welsh monolinguals,
those people losing their jobs for not speaking Welsh are the ones
facing the most palpable forms of social exclusion. Personally, I think
this takes language promotion a little too far.

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow