[lg policy] Terralingua E-News Issue #3

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 3 14:19:00 UTC 2010

Forwarded  From: Terralingua <info at terralingua.org>
Date: Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM

 If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=1405789.6691726630/rid=c0bc17fd260eb7de872284b1e41fc342>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/1405789/f929d92bb51be2559f03e0cb0ec135d1/6691726630/?mrid=c0bc17fd260eb7de872284b1e41fc342>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/1405789/f929d92bb51be2559f03e0cb0ec135d1/6691726630/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/1405789/f929d92bb51be2559f03e0cb0ec135d1/6691726630/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/1405789/f929d92bb51be2559f03e0cb0ec135d1/6691726630/>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917913/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/html/home.html>
        [image:
DonateNow]<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917976/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917912/1405789/goto:https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:1413322/acctId:1405789>
 If you are not a Terralingua member, this is a good opportunity to
*Join us!*<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917977/1405789/goto:https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:1413322/acctId:1405789>

To update your contact information, send us an email at:
members at terralingua.org

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917911/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=3>
 *Join the Conversation*<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917978/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=3>
Take part in a lively online discussion about biocultural diversity
conservation. Where we all come together to network, share ideas, and learn
from one another.

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917914/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=10>
 *Share your Story*<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917979/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=10>
Read real-life stories about biocultural diversity, or tell your own story.
An exercise in renewing the tradition of learning through storytelling.

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917915/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=2>
 *Explore the Projects
*<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917980/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=2>
 Visit our showcase of biocultural diversity conservation projects. An
ever-expanding gallery of projects from all continents that take an
integrative approach to conservation.

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917921/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=50>
 *The Solutions*<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917981/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=50>
Read (and write!) about solutions for biocultural diversity
conservation.

   *Terralingua E-News Issue #3*
* *
*June 2, 2010*
* *
*Dear Harold F.,*
 Another month has gone by, and we’re full of Terralingua news once again!
Our crew is back from the two meetings we announced in the last issue, where
a lot happened. Our three sessions at the 12th International Congress of
Ethnobiology (ICE) in Tofino, British Columbia (*Where to, Biocultural
Diversity?*, *How Many People Speak Your Language?*, and *What Have We
Learned from Biocultural Diversity
Mapping?*<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917982/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/activities/intro.html>were
very successful—well attended and lively. We also had an active role
in
the subsequent meeting of International Funders for Indigenous Peoples, also
in Tofino, where we had an opportunity to showcase our latest book,
*Biocultural
Diversity Conservation: A Global
Sourcebook*.<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917983/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=336>

You’ll find some of our pictures and video clips from Tofino on Facebook,
and excerpts from some of our sessions on Twitter (see the links below). As
well, you can follow the links below to find two interviews I gave while in
Tofino: with National Geographic News and with CBC (Canada Broadcasting
Company) Radio.

As we don’t let any grass grow under our feet, we’re on the move again, to
participate next week in an important policy-relevant meeting, the
International Conference on Biological  and Cultural Diversity! Find more
information below.

And, later this month, we’re planning an official launch for our Biocultural
Diversity Conservation portal, with a special event featuring real-time
online interaction with biocultural diversity experts, newly posted projects
and stories, book discounts, prizes, and more! Please be on the lookout for
a special e-vite (electronic invitation) that will reach your mailbox by the
end of this week. Meanwhile, remember to check out what’s new on the
portal <http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917984/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/>and
to register for the
discussion forum<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917985/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=3>where
the launch event will happen. And see below for what others are saying
about the book and the portal!

Please send us feedback on our work and this e-news, and let us know how you
feel we can serve you better, and better advance the cause of biocultural
diversity. And if you do like what we’re doing, we always welcome your
donations--for which you can make use of the “Donate
now”<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917986/1405789/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=243>button
in this e-news.  It’s easy, and it does help us keep doing what we
do!

With warmest wishes,

Luisa Maffi, Terralingua Director

 ------------------------------

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917916/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2010/06/restoring-human-cultures-to-the-web-of-life.html>
  *Luisa Maffi interviewed by National Geographic*

During the Tofino meetings, Terralingua Director Luisa Maffi was interviewed
by National Geographic News editor David Braun on biocultural diversity and
our book *Biocultural Diversity Conservation*. You can find the news item,
the video of the interview, and other relevant resources by clicking
here...<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917987/1405789/goto:http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2010/06/restoring-human-cultures-to-the-web-of-life.html>

"This is the very first news item on biocultural diversity posted on NatGeo
News! Please make sure you add your comments--the more people comment, the
more NatGeo (and its readers) will think the topic is important and worthy
of greater attention!"

------------------------------

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917917/1405789/goto:http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/bcallpointswest_20100512_32248.mp3>
  *Luisa Maffi interviewed by CBC Radio*

Another first was Luisa Maffi’s interview that aired on a CBC Radio British
Columbia program, All Points West, hosted by Jo-Ann Roberts, on May 11. This
interview focused on our Index of Linguistic
Diversity<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917988/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/projects/ild/ild.htm>which
we had just presented at one of the ICE sessions. You can download
the May 11 podcast by clicking
here....<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917989/1405789/goto:http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/bcallpointswest_20100512_32248.mp3>
The interview starts at minute 25 of the podcast.

 ------------------------------

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917918/1405789/goto:http://www.cbd.int/meetings/icbcd/>
 *Terralingua at the International Conference on *
*Biological and Cultural Diversity *

On June 8-10, the city of Montréal will host a major international meeting
devoted to the links between biological and cultural diversity, organized by
the Convention on Biological Diversity
(CBD)<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917990/1405789/goto:http://www.cbd.int/>
and UNESCO.<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917991/1405789/goto:http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/>The
conference's aim is “to contribute to transforming political
commitments
into concrete actions by developing recommendations towards effectively
integrating biological and cultural diversity into development cooperation
strategies and programmes.” Luisa Maffi is invited to present on our Index
of Linguistic Diversity, a tool that is of direct relevance to CBD and
UNESCO policies related to the! conservation of biodiversity and cultural
diversity. To find out more about this conference click here...
<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917992/1405789/goto:http://www.cbd.int/meetings/icbcd/>

------------------------------

     *What others are saying about our *
*Biocultural Diversity Conservation*
*Book & Portal *
* *
The news about our book Biocultural diversity Conservation: A Global
Sourcebook and companion portal is spreading! Check the IUCN (International
Union for the Conservation of Nature) page on biocultural
diversity,<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917993/1405789/goto:http://www.iucn.org/about/work/programmes/social_policy/sp_themes/sp_themes_cdandtk/>which
features our book as relevant to the interests of IUCN, and the
Biocultural
Diversity Learning Network
<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917994/1405789/goto:http://www.globaldiversityfund.net/node/1502>
page that presents both the book and the portal. To peruse our ! portal and
learn more about the book click
here...<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917995/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/>

 ------------------------------

     *Terralingua at the Tofino Meetings, May 2010*

Follow the links below to find pictures and videos from the Tofino meetings
on Facebook, and excerpts from our sessions on Twitter! More will be posted
in the following weeks.

 ------------------------------

   <http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917919/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terralingua-Biocultural-Diversity/111450972208560?v=wall>
 * *
*Join us on Facebook!<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917996/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terralingua-Biocultural-Diversity/111450972208560?v=wall>
*

<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917920/1405789/goto:http://twitter.com/terralinguaBCD>
 *Join us on Twitter!*<http://e2ma.net/go/6691726630/208214016/212917997/1405789/goto:http://twitter.com/terralinguaBCD>
     271 Baker Road | Salt Spring Island, B.C. | V8K 2N6 | Canada

This email was sent to *haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu*. To ensure that you
continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=1412570/id=1405789.6691726630/rid=c0bc17fd260eb7de872284b1e41fc342>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=1405789.6691726630/rid=c0bc17fd260eb7de872284b1e41fc342/signupId=1412570>using