[lg policy] Common Core Standards finally released for English Language Arts and Mathematics

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 5 14:27:00 UTC 2010

Common Core Standards finally released for English Language Arts and
Mathematics

The long awaited and much ballyhooed Common Core Standards for English
Language Arts and Mathematics have finally been released (about a
half-year behind schedule) by the National Governors Association and
the Council of Chief State School Officers.

I suspect these standards will be a considerable improvement over the
standards that were created to support our defunct CATS assessment.

I am not sure the standards will be good enough to prepare our kids to
meet international competition. They may not even be as good as top
state standards in places like Massachusetts.

They certainly need more fleshing out to become a fully useful
document for teachers and individuals who create assessments. However,
I am going to wait for technical experts to weigh in on those and
other concerns.

In any event, Kentucky has already voted to adopt these standards as
our own. How much additional material we will need to add to the core
standards and whether they ultimately will lead to improvement for our
students remains to be seen.

You can find links to both of the new standards in the Common Core
State Standards Initiative web site.

If you read them, ask yourself if you can tell from the standards
exactly what is needed to prepare your child for adult life and if
everything needed is covered.

http://bluegrasspolicy-blog.blogspot.com/2010/06/common-core-standards-finally-released.html
 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)