[lg policy] Indigenous Language Institute: Native Langage News

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 12 14:14:25 UTC 2010

 Forwarded From: Indigenous Language Institute <ili at ilinative.org>
Date: Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM

 If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=28751.6700110223/rid=72ec804ad01f4ea06ebb0d2048306d5f>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/28751/964d682f99093ed1552d8bf0f9ccab04/6700110223/?mrid=72ec804ad01f4ea06ebb0d2048306d5f>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6700110223/208223238/214043287/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org>
         *Chris Harvey with participant at ILI's technology workshop,
Seminole Nation.*
 *Languagegeek Support*
     *Chris Harvey, ILI's Program Manager, Research and Development.*
 Dear Harold,

Sh’mae pawb!
   Two years after our Regional Technology Workshop hosted by the Seminole
Nation in Hollywood, Florida, ILI and our worshop’s participants are still
working together to ensure successful language revitalisation. It is one of
ILI’s expressed goals to provide continuing services and support in the
fields of language maintenance, education, and technology.
   Back in the spring of 2007, ILI / Languagegeek prepared Native-language
keyboard software for use by the participants at the regional workshop. Over
the three day period in Florida, we consulted each of the over twenty
language groups attending about the efficacy of the keyboards and fonts:
were any letters missing, were any letters no longer part of the practical
orthography, were some of the characters in need of re-design, etc. In at
least two cases, the keyboards provided free by Languagegeek served as the
springboard to developing the first experimental orthographies for those
Native languages, and before the three days were up, all participants were
quickly and easily typing in their preferred writing system.
   It is always a pleasure to speak to friends I met as an instructor at the
Regional Technology Workshops, so it was great to hear from the
Elaponke-Ahfachkee language teachers from southern Florida. It turns out
that ILI’s Desktop Publishing training in combination with the Languagegeek
fonts and keyboards have made producing materials in the language so much
easier than before, and that a curriculum including textbooks, worksheets,
displays, and other classroom materials have been developed and will be
implemented this coming school year.
   There was also a question as to whether Elaponke-Ahfachkee language
support could also be provided for the Mac OS X. The answer was, of course,
yes. I designed the Mac-specific software soon after that phone call, and
helped the IT department with the installation procedure two days later.
   For all those who have been to an ILI workshop in the past, please don’t
forget that part of the ILI experience is providing on-going support
(technical or otherwise) to our fellow language teachers, students, and
activists. Technology is ubiquitous in the world today, and the more Native
language we can put onto modern media, the more immersed the learners and
speakers can be.
   Daliwch i siarad eich ieithoedd chi, a pheidiwch ag anghofio ei defnyddio
hi bob dydd!

Chris Harvey

 *For more information on Languagegeek go to
**www.languagegeek.com*<http://e2ma.net/go/6700110223/208223238/214043319/28751/goto:http://www.languagegeek.com/>
* or e-mail to **chris.harvey at ilinative.org* <chris.harvey at ilinative.org>*.
*

   <http://e2ma.net/go/6700110223/208223238/214043288/28751/goto:http://www.languagegeek.com>
 *A sample of a keyboard layout (Elaponke-Ahfachkee).*
            1501 Cerrillos Road U-Building | Santa Fe, NM 87505 US

This email was sent to *hfsclpp at gmail.com*. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=48362/id=28751.6700110223/rid=72ec804ad01f4ea06ebb0d2048306d5f>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=28751.6700110223/rid=72ec804ad01f4ea06ebb0d2048306d5f/signupId=48362>using