[lg policy] Kyrgyz Riots Spread in Apparent Ethnic Violence against Uzbeks

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 15 14:06:46 UTC 2010

All:

I am attaching an article that appeared in the NYTimes this a.m.,
explaining that the
roots of tension between the Kyrgyz and the Uzbeks are economic
(class-based), rather
than ethnic.  The writer confirms that the two "languages" are
mutually intelligible; I've
always heard that this was  a product of Soviet "divide-and-conquer"
strategies in the region,
designed to control an otherwise unmanageable ethnic group.  I'm told
all the lgs. in the
region, except Tadjik, which is a variant of Persian, are mutually
intelligible, but I'm not sure
if Kazakh is included in this.

HS

June 14, 2010
Kyrgyz Tensions Rooted in Class, Not Ethnicity, Experts Say
By ANDREW E. KRAMER

MOSCOW — The violence that has claimed scores of lives in Kyrgyzstan
is frequently ascribed to ethnic tensions, but regional experts say
the causes are more complex. “I don’t believe in a narrative of
long-simmering ethnic tension,” Alexander A. Cooley, a professor at
Columbia University’s Harriman Institute and an authority on Central
Asia, said in a telephone interview. Indeed, ethnic distinctions
between Uzbeks and Kyrgyz are so slight as to be hardly
distinguishable, Professor Cooley and others say. Both are
predominantly Muslim and they speak a mutually comprehensible Turkic
language.

The most notable distinction, the one that is most responsible for the
animosities that led to the recent violence, Central Asian experts
say, is economic: Kyrgyz are traditional nomads, while Uzbeks are
farmers. That divide has translated today into a wide class
distinction, as Uzbeks have prospered and now own many of the
businesses in southern Kyrgyzstan, which has engendered resentment.
Among the first buildings to burn in rioting over the weekend was the
“People’s Friendship University,” singled out apparently because it
was built with donations by wealthy Uzbek businessmen.

Ethnic Kyrgyz in the south have remained largely loyal to a president
deposed in April, Kurmanbek S. Bakiyev, while ethnic Uzbeks have
supported the new interim government. Mr. Bakiyev, now in exile, has
denied any role in the rioting Uzbeks make up about 15 percent of the
population of Kyrgyzstan, but they constitute a sizable portion of the
population in the south and had made up about half of the residents of
the country’s second largest city, Osh, before the violence
depopulated Uzbek neighborhoods. Sergei Mikheyev, a Central Asia
expert at the Center for Political Technologies, a Moscow research
group, said the basic divide between the groups was still not
sufficient to explain the rioting. Mr. Mikheyev instead blamed the
recent political turmoil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/world/asia/15ethnic.html?ref=world

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com