[lg policy] Fw: An article of yours plagiarized?

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Tue Jun 15 20:31:54 UTC 2010

I had a similar thing happen to me.  A free sample on a website for research papers one can purchase is essentially my chapter from the Handbook of Educational Linguistics (http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1444331043.html) on the history and development of the field, mixed together with some other text probably written by another researcher:
http://www.freeonlineresearchpapers.com/educational-linguistics

The publisher tried in vain, even threatening legal action, to have it taken down.  With these sites being hosted in various parts of the world, it seems there is not much that can be done about it.  It would be nice if we would at least get the author credit.  I'm waiting for the day a student turns in my own work to me for credit.

FMH

--
Francis M. Hult, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Bicultural-Bilingual Studies
University of Texas at San Antonio

Web: http://faculty.coehd.utsa.edu/fhult/

________________________________

From: lgpolicy-list-bounces+francis.hult=utsa.edu at groups.sas.upenn.edu on behalf of Tariq Rahman
Sent: Tue 6/15/2010 3:05 PM
To: lgpolicy-list at groups.sas.upenn.edu
Subject: [lg policy] Fw: An article of yours plagiarized?

Dear Colleagues,
About three months back Dr Elena Bashir drew my attention to a website called APNA which carried an article of mine on 'Linguistics in Pakistan' under the name of Sabiha Mansoor. This article had been published first in my book entitled Language, education and culture (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 1999). It had been updated and revised for another publication. The article refers to my prtevious work also.
I first wrote to Dr Sabiha Mansoor who has been my Ph.D student and whom I respect a lot. She assured me that she had not given her name to this act of blatant plagiarism. I then approached the website and despite several attempts they did not remove her name from this article. I have now chosen to inform you about this website and to request you to do whatever you can so that these kind of things do not happen in future.
Yours sincerely,
Tariq Rahman

Dr. Tariq Rahman
Distinguished National Professor & Director
National Institute of Pakistan Studies
Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad
Pakistan.

My other email addresses are:-