[lg policy] Canada: Employees lose Via Rail language policy challenge

Stan-sandy Anonby stan-sandy_anonby at SIL.ORG
Tue Jun 15 23:01:20 UTC 2010

Good points, Dave,

You're right. Language learning is difficult. Few people like language learning.

Just that the  French people, despite their anti-English laws, are far more bilingual than the anglophones. It's just as difficult for them to learn English as it is for us to learn French. And Quebec's laws make it very hard for them to go to English immersion schools. In English Canada, French immersion schools are free and ubiquitous. Yet Quebecois often learn English, and we very seldom speak French.

Stan