[lg policy] US: Theater performs plays in the Creek Language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 25 14:46:04 UTC 2010

Forwarded  From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Native American Times

Theater performs plays in the Creek Language

Billy Chalakee remembers growing up as a young Muscogee (Creek) boy
listening to his grandparents and parents talk in their Native
language.

Even the family’s church sermons were delivered in Creek. But
Chalakee, 72, never really caught on to the language.

“I never did pick it up,” he said. “No one ever stopped to teach me. I
knew some of the words when they asked me a question or talked to me,
and I could understand what they said. But as for getting into
conversation, I couldn’t pick it up.”

Full story:

http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3804:theater-performs-plays-in-the-creek-language&catid=43&Itemid=19

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)