[lg policy] Biocultural Diversity Portal Launch E-vite

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 29 14:13:42 UTC 2010

 Forwarded From: Terralingua <info at terralingua.org>
Date: Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=1405789.6714948651/rid=e35130d401f2e8e05be972f29ea37b40>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/1405789/322d122d7f876c0167647b2b6030b22b/6714948651/?mrid=e35130d401f2e8e05be972f29ea37b40>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/1405789/322d122d7f876c0167647b2b6030b22b/6714948651/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/1405789/322d122d7f876c0167647b2b6030b22b/6714948651/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/1405789/322d122d7f876c0167647b2b6030b22b/6714948651/>

<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239563/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/html/home.html>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239562/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=949>

Join us for a unique online event
to celebrate the launch of Terralingua's new portal:
*"Biocultural Diversity Conservation: a Community of Practice"*

The Event will take place on our website:
www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239590/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation>
 * *
*Wednesday, June 30, 2010*
  Terralingua Portal Launch
(a)<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239591/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=448&vasthtmlaction=viewforum&f=8.0>
8-10 am Pacific Daylight Time Terralingua Portal Launch
(b)<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239592/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=448&vasthtmlaction=viewforum&f=9.0>
2-4 pm Pacific Daylight Time

*The Conversation Forum space for the launch has been set up under the title
‘Nature and Culture’. Panelist discussion topics and start-up questions for
the panelists have been posted. We would like to encourage you contribute to
the preparations by posting your own thoughts and comments, questions
and insights ahead of time. This will give our panelists and other
participants some additional food for thought to prepare for the launch on
Wednesday. Here’s the easy way to do it: click on either link above (“Launch
(a)” or ”Launch (b)”), and you will be taken to the Forum; then log in and
just post your questions and comments as a ‘new topic’. Of course, you will
also be able to post new topics throughout the event, as well as to post
under each pre-set topic after the panelists have had an initial “go” at
their respective topics.*

   Schedule <#129820352694d1b3_schedule>
Panelists <#129820352694d1b3_Panelists>

  Terralingua is an NGO that works internationally to sustain the
biocultural diversity of life. During this International Year of
Biodiversity, many people are coming together to learn how to safeguard
nature and reduce biodiversity loss. We think that safeguarding the web of
life means sustaining diversity in both nature and culture! We invite you to
partake in a conversation about biocultural diversity on our new portal. The
portal is an online companion to our new book, *Biocultural Diversity
Conservation: a Global Sourcebook*(Earthscan 2010), the very first global
resource on biocultural diversity conservation.

   Meet the book’s authors, Drs. Luisa Maffi and Ellen Woodley.
Engage online with experts on biocultural diversity.
Explore new content on the portal.
Share your feedback with us, and get a chance to win a copy of the book.
Receive a special one-time discount for the book.
Bring your questions, ideas, and inspirations.

We look forward to celebrating this special event with you!

When: Wednesday June 30, 2010, 8-10am and 2-4 pm Pacific Daylight Time

   - Please click on the following links to see the start times in your
   area:
   - 8:00 am Pacific Daylight
Time<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239593/1405789/goto:http://permatime.com/America/Vancouver/2010-06-30/08:00/Terralingua_Portal_Launch_%28a%29?link=www.terralingua.org%2Fbcdconservation>
   - 2:00 pm Pacific Daylight
Time<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239594/1405789/goto:http://permatime.com/America/Vancouver/2010-06-30/02:00/Terralingua_Portal_Launch_%28b%29?link=www.terralingua.org%2Fbcdconservation>

 WILL YOU BE ATTENDING?  Click here to let us
know....<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239595/1405789/goto:https://app.e2ma.net/app2/survey/1405789/205019898/1afec504fa/>

S C H E D U L E:

Terralingua Portal Launch (a)
8-10 am Pacific Daylight Time

 08:00 CULTURE AN D CONSERVATION In this panel, we will discuss how
revitalizing local cultural beliefs and traditional knowledge can both
contribute to conserving and managing wild and domesticated species, and
help strengthen cultural identity, livelihoods, and human well-being.
Panelists: Jan van der Ploeg, Yasuyuki Morimoto, C. Manjula

08:40 LANGUAGE, KNOWLEDGE AND THE ENVIRONMENT This panel will focus on the
interconnections of language, traditional knowledge, and the environment,
and on why it is vital to ensure the intergenerational transmission of
cultural values, knowledge, and languages for the conservation of
biocultural diversity.
Panelists: Anvita Abbi, Samantha Ross, Jonathan Long

09:20 INDIGENOUS PEOPLES AND PROTECTED AREAS Here we will explore how
synergies can be established between the rights, needs and aspirations of
Indigenous Peoples and the goals of environmental conservation, so as to
ensure that the protection of biodiversity and sensitive ecosystems is
compatible with cultural survival.
Panelists: Márcia Gomez de Oliveira, Norbert Suchanek, Cristina Mittermeier,
Kabir Bavikatte

 Terralingua Portal Launch (b)
2-4 pm Pacific Daylight Time

14:00 CONSERVING MEXICO’S BIOCULTURAL HERITAGE  The panelists will discuss
the challenges and opportunities of conserving the biocultural heritage of
Mexico, the world’s third main center of biocultural diversity (after
Indonesia and India), and one of the world’s main centers of plant
domestication and diversification.
Panelists: Victor Toledo, Luisa Maffi, David Rapport

14:40 REVITALIZING TRADITIONAL KNOWLEDGE OF FOODS AND MEDICINES This panel
will address the importance of maintaining and revitalizing traditional
agricultural and medicinal knowledge and practices for cultural identity,
food security, human health, and biodiversity conservation.
Panelists: Felipe Montoya Greenheck, Laxmi Pant, Idah Faridah

15:20 COMMUNITY-BASED CONSERVATION * *Here we will examine a variety of
community-based approaches to the conservation of biocultural heritage that
have been receiving increasing attention in recent times: from community
conserved/protected areas, to biocultural community protocols, to natural
sacred sites.
Panelists: Hugh Govan, Harry Jonas, Holly Shrumm, Desalegn Desissa, Jeanine
Pfeiffer

 P A N E L I S T S
and Background Reading

  Luisa Maffi, Ellen Woodley
Biocultural Diversity Conservation: a Global
Sourcebook<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239596/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=336>
Victor
Toledo
The Biocultural Heritage of Mexico: an
overview<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239597/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=1120>
www.oikos.unam.mx/etnoecologia/<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239598/1405789/goto:http://www.oikos.unam.mx/etnoecologia/>
Hugh
Govan
Proyecto de Apoyo al Pueblo Indígena Ngäbe
<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239599/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=230>and
Locally-Managed Marine Areas in the South Pacific
   Anvita Abbi
Vanishing Voices of the Great
Andamanese<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239600/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=125>
Felipe
Montoya-Greenheck Reviving Traditional Seed Exchange and Cultural Knowledge
in Rural Costa Rica<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239601/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=232>
Samantha
Ross
Talking the Walk in Tanzania: Language as the Missing Ingredient of
Biodiversity Conservation?
 <http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239602/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=87>
 Yasuyuki
Morimoto Community-Based Documentation of Indigenous Knowledge, Awareness
and Conservation of Cultural and Genetic Diversity of Bottle Gourd
 <http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239603/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=82>
Jan
van der Ploeg
MABUWAYA: Crocodile Rehabilitation, Observance and
Conservation<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239604/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=138>
C.
Manjula
Plant Resources: Traditional Knowledge of Irulars of Northern Tamil
Nadu<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239605/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=129>
 Jonathan
Long
Learning That Wisdom Sits In Places: Apache Students Reconnecting To Land
and Identity In Arizona,
US<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239606/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=227>
Márcia
Gomez de Oliveira, Norbert Suchanek
Re-establishing the inextricable link: Mbyá culture and biological diversity
in the Atlantic Rainforest in Southeast Brazil
 <http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239607/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=1058>
Jeanine
Pfeiffer, Idah Faridah
Countering the Loss of Knowledge, Practices, and Species on Flores Island,
Indonesia
<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239608/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=132>
 Harry
Jonas, Holly Shrumm, Kabir Bavikatte http://www.naturaljustice.org
 <http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239609/1405789/goto:http://www.naturaljustice.org/><http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239610/1405789/goto:http://www.naturaljustice.org/>
Cristina
Mittermeier http://www.ilcp.com<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239611/1405789/goto:http://www.ilcp.com>
Desalegn
Dessisa Indigenous Sacred Sites and Biocultural Diversity: A Case Study from
Southwestern Ethiopia
<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239612/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=62>
 David
Rapport
Recovering Landscape Health and Cultural Resilience in the Sierra
Tarahumara, Mexico<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239613/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=36>
Laxmi
Pant
Culturally Rich Agroecosystems: Maintaining Traditional Beliefs for Food
Security in Nepal<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239614/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?p=119>

To keep current on details prior to the event, and for further instructions,
keep checking the event’s landing page click
here...<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239615/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=949>

Register now<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239616/1405789/goto:http://www.terralingua.org/bcdconservation/?page_id=949>
on
the portal to ensure a smooth participation in the event!

 If you have any difficulties registering, please contact:
ortixia at terralingua.org

Become a Terralingua friend on
*Facebook<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239617/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terralingua-Biocultural-Diversity/111450972208560?v=wall>
*,<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239618/1405789/goto:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terralingua-Biocultural-Diversity/111450972208560?v=wall>
and
follow us on *Twitter*<http://e2ma.net/go/6714948651/208237553/214239619/1405789/goto:http://twitter.com/terralinguaBCD>

        271 Baker Road | Salt Spring Island, B.C. | V8K 2N6 | Canada

This email was sent to *haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu*. To ensure that you
continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=1412570/id=1405789.6714948651/rid=e35130d401f2e8e05be972f29ea37b40>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=1405789.6714948651/rid=e35130d401f2e8e05be972f29ea37b40/signupId=1412570>using