[lg policy] book notice: English Language Learners in American Classrooms: 101 Questions, 101 Answers

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 9 17:07:07 UTC 2010

English Language Learners in American Classrooms: 101 Questions, 101 Answers
Filed in Uncategorized on May.08, 2010

ISBN13: 9780545005197

With increasing numbers of ELLs posing unique challenges and
opportunities for schools, the authors address educators’ concerns in
a concise and accessible way. The book provides a basic but
comprehensive introduction that serves as a state-of-the-art guide to
the field, using a straightforward Q&A format designed to focus
sharply on the major issues, such as the research on effectiveness of
various programs, and assessment and accountability for ELLs. For use
with … More >>

English Language Learners in American Classrooms: 101 Questions, 101 Answers

Tags: American, Answers, Classrooms, English, Language, Learners, Questions
Comments (5)

Questions, 101 Answers”
 Lucia Villarreal Villarreal Says:
May 8th, 2010 at 11:51 am
I am very grateful for this new book on the topic of English language
learners (ELLs). As a veteran teacher of 34 years, having taught
grades kinder through eighth, I know first hand about the
opportunities and challenges in educating ELLs. Through the years, I
have experienced what works and what does not, as hundreds of ELLs in
my classroom have shown me. It is indeed affirming to find much of
what I have learned from my students in this book.

In English Learners in the American Classroom, James Crawford and
Stephen Krashen describe what works and what does not and give the
reasons in a clear and concise manner. They pose the many frequently
asked questions about instruction and assessment for ELLs and give
precise answers with information, research, and history. This is very
important for there is no other educational issue that creates more
heated debate than the education of and program options for ELLs.

The education of English learners has been a concern since this
country’s inception in the 1700s. Because our society has always been
a nation of immigrants, it is pluralistic with many other languages
than English. However, those who attempt to perpetuate myths of the
dangers of a pluralistic, multilingual society compound the challenge
of the education of immigrant children with simplistic, expedient
solutions. This issue is further complicated for teachers by questions
regarding the educational goal for ELLs. Is the goal to focus on
academic content or on English learning? Can it be both, academic
content while learning English? In essence, most educators get
entangled in these debates while desiring an unrealistic expedient
process in the midst of ever more local, state, and federal mandates,
and new curriculum and assessment programs.

In such an environment, Crawford and Kreshen’s new book is a welcome
assistance to teachers of ELLs. I can envision that it will give them
clear answers to the how and why of effective instructional methods
and assessment. Teachers will also feel empowered with answers ready
at hand as they work towards providing the best education that ELLs
can have.

I know that in my last years of teaching, as I prepare to retire, I
will use this book as a guide for the continued improvement of my
classroom practice and my advocacy for English language learners.
Rating: 5 / 5
 Caryl Crowell Says:
May 8th, 2010 at 2:06 pm
In a very approachable and easy to manipulate digest, Crawford and
Krashen introduce any reader to the intricacies of education for
English language learners. They include comprehensible responses to
the most common questions about students, programs, research, heritage
languages, public opinion, legal requirements, assessment and
accountability, language politics and policy, history, and response to
the criticisms of bilingual education. For seasoned bilingual and ESL
teachers, there won’t be a lot that is new, but the book does present
information in ways that can be easily communicated to people who
don’t have a deep understanding of the field. I’d recommend this book
for anyone who works with ELLs, anyone who makes educational decisions
for ELLs and anyone who has responsibility for administering or
developing language policy. When you finish, send your copy to one of
those folks in government and policy-making positions who think they
know what’s best for our ELL students.
Rating: 5 / 5
 Esther Bousquet Says:
May 8th, 2010 at 3:45 pm
Wonderful!!! Concise and packed with information. A good book for any
administrator, teacher or school board member needing quick and
researched based info on the best practices for educating students who
are learning English as a second language. If tests scores are to
improve for EL’s we need to follow the researched based advice of this
book. The book is well written and easy to understand even for those
without background in second language acquisition. There are many who
may disagree with the message given here but it’s time to realize that
research does not always give us the answers we want. However we
should do what research says is best for children to give them the
best chance in life. I enjoyed the book it was quick reading and I was
able to skip to areas that I was most interested in. Every educator
who works with English Learners should have this book.
Rating: 5 / 5
 Donna Mcdowell Says:
May 8th, 2010 at 5:57 pm
This book is extremely concise and informative, written in an almost
abbreviated form. Excellent reference book to keep on hand. I highly
recommend it to all teachers and administrators who work with English
learners in any capacity.
Rating: 5 / 5
 Mojo Says:
May 8th, 2010 at 6:00 pm
I’m an ESl teacher and thought this book would be pedagogical. It’s
mostly about the current state of bilingual education in the US. It is
informative about the history and legislation of ESL and bilingual ed.
I would recommend it for anyone in the field who needs to polish their
knowledge base or those interested in entering the field.
Rating: 4 / 5

http://www.kweemall.com/?p=2852

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)