[lg policy] Singapore: Mother Tongue Language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 17 14:32:40 UTC 2010

Mother Tongue Language
There is much controversy over the issue of the mother tongue
language. I do not have my personal view about whether the weightage
should remain the same or be reduced.

I wish to express my concerns on two issues:

a) Some people hold strong views that the weightage should be
maintained while others felt strongly that it should be reduced. I am
concerned about the manner in which the views were expressed, without
regard for the views of other people who may be in different
circumstances.

b) There seem to be a loss of trust in the government leaders to find
the right balance that takes into account the diverse views of the
people. I believe that they have the responsibility to seek the right
policy which accommodates the views and needs as many people as
possible.

I believe that it is possible to encourage students to learn a second
language, without forcing them to do it through the "weightage" in the
PSLE.

Tan Kin Lian

[At the end of this article there are 53 comments.  Some of them might
be offensive to some people, so I
have decided not to include them (HS)]

http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2010/05/mother-tongue-language.html
Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)