[lg policy] Indigenous Lanuage Institute: Native Language News

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 5 14:15:56 UTC 2010

Forwarded From: Indigenous Language Institute <ili at ilinative.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=28751.6844998826/rid=5e6c0c56551a3b9b0cb1c5d6462eaf1b>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/28751/d02a97287baccfd7d0e05e5ca718018f/6844998826/?mrid=5e6c0c56551a3b9b0cb1c5d6462eaf1b>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/28751/d02a97287baccfd7d0e05e5ca718018f/6844998826/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/28751/d02a97287baccfd7d0e05e5ca718018f/6844998826/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/28751/d02a97287baccfd7d0e05e5ca718018f/6844998826/>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6844998826/208365117/216174220/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org>
      *ILI's "Ancient Voices, Modern Tools" Goes Global*

     In April 2010, the Indigenous Language Institute held Ancient Voices,
Modern Tools technology workshops for our indigenous friends from India,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, California and Oklahoma. This was ILI’s
collaboration with the National Geographic Society Enduring Voices Project,
a partnership between the National Geographic Society and the Living Tongues
Institute for Endangered Languages.

     The following seven participants represented communities that the
Enduring Voices Project is working with to preserve and perpetuate their
endangered heritage languages: Bhubneshwar Swaiyan from Ranchi, Jharkhand,
India (Ho language), Ganesh Murmu from Ranchi, Jharkhand, India (Santali),
Gracious Temsen from Hyderabad, India (Khasi), Rudolf Raward from Madang,
Papua New Guinea (Matugar Panau), Andrés Ozuna Ortiz from Paraguay
(Chamacoco/Ishyr), Mark Franco from Redding, California (Winnemem Wintu),
and Terrie Kinsey from Sac and Fox Nation, Oklahoma (Sauk). The National
Geographic Enduring Voices team members are: K. David Harrison (Swarthmore
College; National Geographic Fellow), Greg Anderson (Living Tongues
Institute; National Geographic Fellow), Chris Rainier (Photographer;
National Geographic Fellow), Anna Luisa Daigneault (Swarthmore College), and
Anna Pucilowski (University of Oregon).

     [image: EV Group Shot at ILI]
Front row from left to right: Chris Rainier, Gracious Temsen, Rudolf
Raward, Greg Anderson, Joanie Nash. Second row left to right: Inee
Slaughter, Terrie Kinsey, K. David Harrison, Rachael Nez. Third row left to
right: Ganesh Murmu, Gerald Hill, Mark Franco, Chris Harvey, Andrés Ozuna
Ortiz, Bhubneshwar Swaiyan, Jeremy Fahringer. In window left to right Anna
Luisa Daigneault and Anna Pucilowski. Photo courtesy of Chris Rainier.
  [image: Enduring voices team with J Hill]
>>From left to right: Chris Rainier, Andrés Ozuna Ortiz, Bhubneshwar Swaiyan,
Anna Pucilowski, Jerry Hill, Anna Luisa Daigneault and Greg Anderson. Photo
courtesy of Manuela Noske.
   [image: Enduring Voices with Pat Nadeau]
ILI Board member Patricia Ningewance hands out books she published
to Enduring Voices Group. Photo courtesy of Manuela Noske.
  [image: Enduring Voices group with Buffalo Dancers]
Enduring Voices Group posing with Tewa Dancers from the North Dance Group.
Photo courtesy of Manuela Noske.

Our friends arrived on April 3 and despite the jetlag, high altitude, the
infamous Santa Fe dry air and exceptional cold weather for our tropical
friends, the team delved into the intensive workshop sessions April 5-10 at
the ILI’s Technology Learning Center in Santa Fe.

   Over the six-day training session, the participants learned to use ILI
templates and computer technology to create booklets and digital stories
using Languagegeek© keyboards and fonts specially designed for their unique
languages that made typing in their languages easier.

*"I could not believe my own eyes that in the three days I created a short
film! I never dreamed this could be done. I have no words to express my deep
feelings about this.  Thank you to National Geographic and Indigenous
Language Institute for bringing me here to learn how to create films and
books. You made it possible for me to produce the very first book in my
language! This is a historic moment. Because of what I learned here, I** know
that our language will not die! " *
*--Rudolf Raward, Papua New Guinea--*
* *
*"I will go home and talk to friends and family about this week in Santa Fe.
I will share Languagegeek with everyone! I know that I must go to my village
more often to get traditional knowledge and stories." *
*--Grace Temsen, India--*

    On April 12 ILI invited Native peoples from New Mexico to a special
event at the Buffalo Thunder Resort for an opportunity for the special
visitors to meet the local indigenous people. The participants shared the
digital stories and books they created at ILI’s workshop. Governor George
Rivera of the Pueblo of Pojoaque welcomed us; a special blessing ceremony
was offered by Ron Indian-Mandamin (Ojibwe from Canada); about 50 guests
enjoyed meeting our new friends from distant lands over this lunch
gathering. We had three of ILI’s Board members – Jerry Hill, Joel Frank and
Maura Studie – and ILI’s Tech Advisory Committee Chair, Manuela Noske,
present at this event. This special gathering was made possible by a
contribution from Jeff and Darlene Anderson.

    ILI is delighted to have this collaboration with National Geographic
Society and Living Tongues Institute. We were touched by how the
participants embraced the tools ILI offered, feeling that their languages
can be used to relate stories, history from indigenous perspectives and
experiences, songs, cultural traditions, medicine for future generations…all
of which are embedded in the language.

To learn more about National Geographic’s Enduring Voices Project, visit
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/mission/enduringvoices/<http://e2ma.net/go/6844998826/208365117/216174487/28751/goto:http://www.nationalgeographic.com/mission/enduringvoices/>and
to learn about Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages,
visit
http://livingtongues.org/<http://e2ma.net/go/6844998826/208365117/216174488/28751/goto:http://livingtongues.org/>
        1501 Cerrillos Road U-Building | Santa Fe, NM 87505 US

This email was sent to *hfsclpp at gmail.com*. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=48362/id=28751.6844998826/rid=5e6c0c56551a3b9b0cb1c5d6462eaf1b>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=28751.6844998826/rid=5e6c0c56551a3b9b0cb1c5d6462eaf1b/signupId=48362>using