[lg policy] New Brunswick: Adding translation services not on group's radar

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 11 14:56:08 UTC 2010

Adding translation services not on group's radar - exec.

The Association francophone des municipalités du Nouveau-Brunswick
Inc., of which the City of Fredericton is a member, hasn't considered
implementing a bilingualism policy. It's specified in the
association's bylaws that the working language is French, said
association executive director Lise Ouellette. Fredericton Coun.
Marilyn Kerton on Monday night balked at voting to name two city
representatives to the organization because she said it doesn't
provide translation services at its meetings.

Kerton said that differs from organizations such as the Union of New
Brunswick Municipalities and the Cities of New Brunswick Association
where members can speak either French or English and translation
services are available. Ouellette said implementing a language policy
change would mean amending the bylaws and that would have to be a
point of discussion for the organization's board of directors.

"However, when we meet privately with members, we can have a meeting
in English only. That's not an issue. We just can't afford the cost of
translation," she said. Kerton said she had no qualms about the
organization's value and efforts at lobbying government on municipal
issues, but she supports bilingualism fairness. "Having the little box
in the corner for translation doesn't mean that a meeting is
bilingual," Ouellette said.

Membership in the organization is by municipality, not by individual.
It's up to the municipality that wants to join to identify councillors
or mayors who can speak or understand French as they attend meetings
or sit on the board, she said Tuesday. "It works extremely well and,
as I said, there's a lot we can do meeting with councils and we did
that for several municipalities and that's not an issue. It works
extremely well," she said.

Despite Kerton's nay vote, the remaining members of Fredericton
council supported the appointment of councillors Steven Hicks and
Stephen Chase as their representatives to the organization. The
organization has a membership of 50 cities, towns and villages. The
group speaks on behalf of francophone and mixed language
municipalities on issues of common concern and it lobbies other levels
of government on regional interests, according to its website.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/1301576

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)