[lg policy] book notice: Understanding English Language Variation in U.S. Schools

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 18 15:37:40 UTC 2010

Forwarded  From: edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Book Title: Understanding English Language Variation in U.S. Schools

Authors: Anne H. Charity Hudley & Christine Mallinson
Publisher: Teachers College Press
Series Title: Multicultural Education
Published: 2011 (available now)
ISBN: 0807751480
Book URL: http://store.tcpress.com/0807751480.shtml
Author Website: http://charityhudleymallinson.com

    We’re happy to announce that Understanding English Language
Variation in U.S. Schools, published by Teachers College Press, is now
available on Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/ajx0om at the reasonable price
of $20.21 for the paperback edition. We also have a website
http://charityhudleymallinson.com and a book Facebook page
http://facebook.com/englishlanguagevariation, both of which include
further description of our book’s contents, so we hope to see you
online as well.
With forewords by James A. Banks and William Labov, an afterword by
Walt Wolfram, and endorsements by Gloria Ladson-Billings, Deborah
Tannen, Terrence Wiley, and others, we’re especially happy to have so
many excellent scholars support our efforts.
    Our book tailors information about language variation to diverse
U.S. educational contexts, with chapters focusing on language and
multicultural education, the concept of School English, Southern,
Appalachian, and African American English varieties, and the
relationship between language variation and assessment. The text
attunes readers to language differences, explores issues of everyday
concern to those who are assessing the linguistic competence of
students, and offers practical strategies to support student
achievement while fostering positive language attitudes in classrooms
and beyond. We focus primarily on connections to K-12 education, but
the material is also relevant to other education professionals,
including college/university instructors, school counselors,
speech-language hearing scientists, as well as parents and anyone
interested in learning more about language variation in diverse school
settings.
    Drafts of our book have successfully been used in a range of
graduate and undergraduate classes, including African American
English, American English, Dialectology, Assessment and Evaluation of
Reading and Language Development, Counselor Education for Diverse
Populations, Language Attitudes, Language in Diverse Schools and
Communities, Language in Society, and Language Variation and
Education.  If you would like advance information or early copies of
the book, please let us know.
    Anne will be hosting a meet the author session at NCTE at the
Teachers College Press booth #716 this Sunday 11/21 from
10:30am-11:00am, so if any of you will be in Orlando, I look forward
to seeing you there!

                       Sincerely,

          Anne H. Charity Hudley & Christine Mallinson

Anne H. Charity Hudley, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English and Linguistics
William and Mary Professor of Community Studies
Coordinator, William & Mary Scholars Undergraduate Research Experience (WMSURE)
The College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, Virginia
(757) 221-3009
http://annecharityhudley.com
http://www.facebook.com/Dr.AnneH.CharityHudley
http://twitter.com/ACharityHudley
http://www.youtube.com/valuablevoices

The book Understanding English Language Variation in U.S. Schools by
Anne H. Charity Hudley and Christine Mallinson is available on
Amazon.com at: http://amzn.to/9CQpX2, on Barnes&Noble.com at:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Understanding-English-Language-Variation-in-US-Schools/Anne-H-Charity-Hudley/e/9780807751480/?itm=2,
and from Teachers College Press in the Multicultural Education Series
at: http://store.tcpress.com/0807751480.shtml. For more information,
visit http://charityhudleymallinson.com.

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)