[lg policy] Linguistic hygiene: Cursing, curtailed

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 12 13:18:12 UTC 2010

 Cursing, curtailed

Written by Baker City Herald Editorial Board October 11, 2010 01:15 pm

South Albany High School’s campaign to, in effect, scrub with soap the
mouths of students who cuss in the halls has spawned more publicity
than we’d have guessed. South Albany’s principal, we’re confident in
claiming, isn’t the first school official to notice that teenagers’
language is not always pristine. But even though we’re a trifle amused
by the attention South Albany’s cursing crackdown has gotten, we’re
more pleased.
Schools should punish students who run afoul of language policies, and
an occasional reminder of the sanctions is appropriate.

Baker High School’s student handbook includes a section about
profanity. It reads, in part: “Students who use profanity will be
subject to disciplinary action and may be suspended. Any use of
profanity toward a staff member will not be tolerated and will result
in suspension.”
That’s a good policy, and one that BHS officials ought to remind
students about. (And a good practice for adults, too.)
Although we’ll concede that a two-minute spot on the evening TV news
probably would be more influential.

http://www.bakercityherald.com/Editorials/Cursing-curtailed

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)