[lg policy] Michael Clyne

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Fri Oct 29 18:30:38 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marie-Therese Jensen <Marie-Therese.Jensen at monash.edu>
Date: Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM
Subject: A message from the Dean of Arts at Monash about Michael Clyne RIP
To: tfmcna at unimelb.edu.au
Cc: mswain at oise.utoronto.ca, bspolsky at gmail.com, Heather Lotherington <
HLotherington at edu.yorku.ca>

Dear friends of Michael,
I am forwarding this message from the Dean of Arts, Rae Francis, which came
to me today.
Sad news indeed, he'd been ill but this was quite unexpected.
Regards,
Marie-Therese

I'm afraid we have lost another of our much loved and longstanding
colleagues, Emeritus Professor Michael Clyne from the School of Languages,
Cultures and Linguistics. Michael died last night, after attending a lecture
by the Language and Society Centre of which he was a stalwart. On Monday
evening the Vice Chancellor and I had the pleasure of participating in
another function at which Michael presided, to honour participants in an
ARC-funded inter-generational language learning program that he was leading.
He clearly lived his last days as he did the rest of his life: passionately
engaged in promoting the importance of language learning and inter-cultural
communication. I shall miss him terribly, as I know his other colleagues and
friends will also. We will send condolences to his wife, Irene O'Donohue,
and daughter, Joanna, on behalf of the Faculty.

Michael's funeral service will take place at 2 p.m. on Monday, 8th November
at the Anglican Church of St Stephen and St Mary, 383 High Street, Mount
Waverley.

We will also hold a memorial service for Michael here at Monash and will
send out details as they are confirmed.

Regards,

Rae